Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add SYNC to 2011 base model

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:14 PM
mbyers

FordEngineer, Thank you for the info.
I was afraid all the wiring and stuff would not be there :-(
I am a little surprised the CAN bus isn't already in there though.

Everyone, as for winter driving I think I'll be fine. When I started driving it was in Upstate NY and with rear wheel drive cars. My first car was a 400hp Charger, so I was driving something with guts. So after spending 7+ years with rear wheel drive (without the current kind of snow tires) I'm not worried about being to handle it :-)
But I do appreciate the comments and concerns.

Last edited by mbyers; 02-14-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 AM
iq2002

I've read through this thread and maybe I'm beating the old horse some more here but I'd like to ask this question anyways.

I didn't realize that SYNC was this great until AFTER I bought my 2010 basic. Lack of research aside I've been wondering if the retro SYNC kit for the <2009 mustang would work for the 2010+ models

http://www.partscheap.com/v/vspfiles...nc_6-18-08.pdf

This kit has been going around for about $500 a pop and if the HMI could simply be replaced by the factory radio instead to work with the dashboard it would offer a clutter free ipod/bluetooth solution.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:27 AM
mbyers

I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't find anyone that did it. And after getting the response from Ford Engineer, I'm probably going to get the Premium package.
I've worked on my cars and do everything around the house, so I have no problem getting in there and changing things around. However, I would want to know there is a chance of sucess before I work on a new car. And when the guy working on wouldn't do it, I figured it was too much to try on a new car.
If you do try it on your car, do post back here.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM
DnDMan

Here's my question...since I bought my 2010 last year, I have regretted not getting the nav package with my GT Premium. Is there a way to add the center column with goodies if you DO have sync already? I've also got the seat heaters.

Last edited by DnDMan; 04-19-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:59 AM
2011CS
1st Gear Member

Any dealer would be glad to swap out the seats if you wanted cloth instead.

Seen it done many times and always welcomed it, you will probably lose the value of the leather seats in the swap, but if you really don't want them who cares about a few hundred dollars VS not having the other equipment advantages you do desire.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by DnDMan
Here's my question...since I bought my 2010 last year, I have regretted not getting the nav package with my GT Premium. Is there a way to add the center column with goodies if you DO have sync already? I've also got the seat heaters.
When I first started looking for a 2010 I looked at several on the lot that had the regular Shaker 500 system.... none had the NAV. Dealer quoted me $2700 to swap in a FORD OEM Nav package. I ultimately ended up just ordering what I wanted.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
iq2002

first of all, the more I reference the SYNC system I find it quite an all-around-system. Very impressive! as I studied it more I began to understand what FordEngineer meant by it being totally worth it getting the Premiums.

second, I realize that I've been going about this all wrong from the beginning. all I was looking for was a clean bluetooth integration (use the Phone button on the factory radio) and perhaps integrate the ipod to work behind the scenes. looking for a retro fitting of a sync system seems simply not worth its price now that i know the wazoo of features i'm forefeiting. simply put, it's not worth the money to buy a complex sync module on ebay only to be able to use it for a couple of features.

given that, i thought i'd share some of my findings for those who still might be interested in going with full fledged ford parts.

i've a fair amount of research on the sync module and found that it's a barebone computer that interacts with the radio console.

http://www.jasoneckert.net/blog/Entr...ft_module.html

my line of work is IT so i was fairly certain that all there was to this was to rearrange the harness so the HMI end would directly connect to the factory radio and voila! the retro fitting sync schematics helped a lot here

http://www.partscheap.com/PhotoDetai...=9R3Z-14D212-A

this is a clean cut solution with a little bit of engineering know-how on my part, but at $440 a pop definitely not worth the money! I might research further to find the sync module and the proper harness for cheap but at this point it makes more sense to go for an aftermarket bluetooth/ipod integration unit from PAC or other brand.

if anyone with a base model has found himself in the same predicament as me please throw a few aftermarket suggestions and i can research for it. i've already been talking with PAC a little and ppl from Crutchfield.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 AM
mbyers

iq2002, after reading your post I think I would tend to agree. All the fancy SYNC stuff would be great, but all I really am looking for is to use my phone via the Stereo. And use the button on the Stereo (and steering wheel if I swap it; there are other posts on the wheel swap) to control it.

So if you have mre details on going that route, please post them.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Chainsaw

IMO not worth the problems, just buy a Premium and sell the leather seats to a person with a base model.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

If your dealer can pull off a Fleet Option on a Retail Order: Ford Upfitter Package 800A would work on the GT if its still available in 2011. I dont know if their is an equivalent on the V6. Thats a Premium Package with Cloth Seats.

Quick Reply: add SYNC to 2011 base model