Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF...! GAS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 PM
ut4126a

Default WTF...! GAS

I cant take this ... I've had my 05 GT for about 6 months now. And every time i put fuel in it, the gas pump handle-trigger resets the handle after every $1.00 approximately...(Like its full) ...but its NOT!!! When this happens I try to re-sede it making sure its tight...This is driving me crazy...Crazy like Brett Favre...But seriously, any of this happening to others!!?? and could it be just in the cold winter...I dont recall it happening last fall.
I am in PA and it is cold, Another Death-Storm coming tommorrow 20 more "'s
WTF!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ut4126a

I cant take this ... I've had my 05 GT for about 6 months now. And every time i put fuel in it, the gas pump handle-trigger resets the handle after every $1.00 approximately...(Like its full) ...but its NOT!!! When this happens I try to re-sede it making sure its tight...This is driving me crazy...Crazy like Brett Favre...But seriously, any of this happening to others!!?? and could it be just in the cold winter...I dont recall it happening last fall.
I am in PA and it is cold, Another Death-Storm coming tommorrow 20 more "'s
WTF!
I think there's a TSB on it; search around for gas filling issues. I'm sure you'll find it.

Crazy like Brett, huh? Well maybe in 2020 you will decide that you've had enough of the mustang and trade it...maybe
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Some pumps do it with my 98, so damn annoying to see it change by the penny just so it wont trip >.<
Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 PM
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

Twist the handle to the 1 o'clock position and it's good to go. When mine cuts off early, I twist it around and it's good to go at full squeeze.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a few TSB's plus a whole lot of threads. But the TSB "fix" doesn't really fix it. It has to do with the saddle type tanks. But don't fret because you're not alone.

There are a few work-arounds that work and in various combinations:
  • Slow down fuel delivery as slow as possible, then speed up to find where it begins to kick off.
  • Pull the pump nozzle out of the filler tube about half-way
  • turn the pump handle 45, 90 sometimes even 180 degrees
  • different pumps have different sensitivities. Find a pump that isn't so persnickity.
  • Stand on your head and spit nickles
Next time, try the search feature.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
There's a few TSB's plus a whole lot of threads. But the TSB "fix" doesn't really fix it. It has to do with the saddle type tanks. But don't fret because you're not alone.

There are a few work-arounds that work and in various combinations:
  • Slow down fuel delivery as slow as possible, then speed up to find where it begins to kick off.
  • Pull the pump nozzle out of the filler tube about half-way
  • turn the pump handle 45, 90 sometimes even 180 degrees
  • different pumps have different sensitivities. Find a pump that isn't so persnickity.
  • Stand on your head and spit nickles
Next time, try the search feature.
Listen to Nuke and you can't go wrong.

I was in PA about a month ago and the same thing happened to me for the 1st time ever... apparently its quite common.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

thats all ya need, just twist the nozzel around until u find the sweet spot, some pumps do it, others dont, theres a Mobile station by my house that does not, but since i work at Cheveron i always pump that, but ya twist the nozzel around so indtead of it hanging straight down make a "Q" and tilt it 45 degrees.or i just compltley turn it 90 degrees and rest it on my leg.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

its only happened to me once. but it seems it more frequent with the older s197s, like 05 06.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

yup yup...not the car, the pump!
up in NY sometimes we have these pumps that will literally take 2 full minutes to pump $1 worth of fuel they'll run so slow....crazy problems!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
WINDfast13

Ahh same problem happens to me everytime. Its weird though because it depends on the nozzle that the gas station is using. Most the time ill tilt the nozzles and itll still release the handle before even half way of pressure.

Quick Reply: WTF...! GAS