Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daylight running lights??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

DRL's are mandatory here in Canada. DRL's are your high beam but at 50%. Kits are available here in Canada at parts sotres. Here is a link http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...252BSystem.jsp to the product at a hardware store at a National Chain.

If you import a car from the U.S., we have to have the module installed to register it. I have heard that there might be a way to enable the DRL if the module is installed. Check out the thread Hidden/Cool things... here. It might be in there.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-mustangs.html

Also, there are many who don't like the DRL feature. With the many different lighting options on the market, DRL can offer some interesting lighting options. Bottom line, it's a safety issue. DRL's work and help prevent many collisions. The downside is that some people don't notice that their regular lights are on at night and drive around with no lights on causing no tail lights to be on either.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:48 AM
CliffyDeuce
1st Gear Member

Only partially true that DRLs work. DRLs reduce accidents for a while until everyone gets used to them, then the accident rate starts to go back up to what it was before. Its just human nature to get used to things.

Same thing happened when max speed limit was reduced to 55 mph in the U.S. Accident rates initially went down, but then came back up over a couple of years; some people even to this day will quote that the 55 mph speed limit saves lives. Funny thing is, the accident rate also went down when they repealed the 55 mph max and raised speed limits.

Basically, anything that is a change from the status quo will force people to pay more attention. Perhaps next we should all put strobe lights on top of our cars like school buses? I'm not sure where to go after that one...

Cliffy
Old 02-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I don't understand why people are so against DRL's?

they can only help out...and IMO, anything that helps you even be slightly more safe is a good idea.

their only drawback is the idiots who fail to realize their DRL's only are on at night...and they drive around without tails/corners on. but these are also the same people who fail to take most safe driving precautions and are completely oblivious as well
Old 02-14-2010, 02:09 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I don't understand why people are so against DRL's?

they can only help out...and IMO, anything that helps you even be slightly more safe is a good idea.

their only drawback is the idiots who fail to realize their DRL's only are on at night...and they drive around without tails/corners on. but these are also the same people who fail to take most safe driving precautions and are completely oblivious as well
the hate from DRL has now moved on to illuminated guages.

at night, people see the guages lit up, see light in front of them ( from the DRL ) and never turn on their lights

i have had a ton of close calls from people like these
Old 02-14-2010, 02:29 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by doode
the hate from DRL has now moved on to illuminated guages.

at night, people see the guages lit up, see light in front of them ( from the DRL ) and never turn on their lights

i have had a ton of close calls from people like these
are they just stupid?

the dash has that annoying white backlighting when the lights are off...and I'm pretty sure all Mustangs are green (initially) when lights are on.

on my Expy though, the DRL's have zero affect on the interior/dash lights. the DRL's themselves are on, but nothing else is.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 AM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

I too am a Canadian, and I think all cars built from 1990 to now are required to have them. I could be wrong, as I DO see the odd new car/truck without them.

Personally, I think they are a great thing to have, and I certainly dont buy into the "once you get used to them, their useless" concept. Ive pulled out to pass a semi at dusk only to discover that there is some dark colored POS 80s car that I couldnt see. Ive never pulled out to pass a semi, seen an oncoming car with DRLs and gunned it anyway because Im now used to them, lol. Ive rarely been glad that I have them... but Im always glad that everyone else does, lol

Having said that, Ive spent the vast majority of my time behind the wheel in vehicles that dont have them, so there have been nights when i would get into a family members car that has them, and driven a few blocks before discovering that the headlights Im seeing are just the DRLs and not my actual lights.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

"their only drawback is the idiots who fail to realize their DRL's only are on at night...and they drive around without tails/corners on. but these are also the same people who fail to take most safe driving precautions and are completely oblivious as well"

I came here to post what I felt was my experience with my DRL's only to be called an idiot and it automatically makes me a bad driver. Both of my other cars have the auto-on headlight system, so I never need to think about turning the lights on. Very convenient. They always come on when starting the car, I guess the garage is dark enough to engage them. The Mustang appears to do the same, because of the DRL's, so it's easy to forget. For me, I'd prefer not to have them, it would make it easier for me to remember. But that's just my opinion, sorry if it flies in the face of today's "Nany State" mentality. Oh, by the way, next week I'll have my drivers license for 49 years. I've had 2 minor tickets (may years ago) and have NEVER been in an accident. Guess I'm blessed......
Old 04-20-2015, 04:57 PM
pnichol2

Default Daylight Running Lights switch on with remote car unlock

does anyone know how to hook up my after market DRL so that they come on when I hit my remote door unlock?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 PM
12bigredstang
1st Gear Member

Here in Canada all cars have lights on all the time.

luke from the north
Old 04-20-2015, 09:47 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

You're going to have you work cut out in order to find the right wires to splice into. I don't recall seeing someone wire the headlights to the door unlock before, and I'm not sue what DRL has to do with this since DRL doesn't have anything to do with unlocking your car.

Quick Reply: Daylight running lights??