Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Change Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Ok I think I see what he may have done. OP, I'm assuming you unbolted the entire bracket assembly with the caliper still attached? If so, just put the new rotor on, bolt the entire assembly back in place with no pads, unbolt the caliper from the bracket, install the brake pads, and bolt the caliper back in place. The link timothyrw posted is a good reference for finding the 2 bolts that hold the actual caliper in place (they are on the inside towards the fender well). If that's not what you've done then I'm still lost, lol. *note* it's much easier to unbolt the caliper from the bracket if the bracket is bolted up.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:24 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Exactly the issue. Thanks. I got the fronts down now...backs, not so much. I have the piston tool, and I can get it to turn, but its not moving...I'm putting as much pressure on it as I can. What do I need to do?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ht11121991
Exactly the issue. Thanks. I got the fronts down now...backs, not so much. I have the piston tool, and I can get it to turn, but its not moving...I'm putting as much pressure on it as I can. What do I need to do?
You need to get one of those kits. It pushes in on the piston while turning it in in a CW direction. As somebody said, it might help to open the bleed screw.
I bought a very nice kit last night from Harbor Freight for $40.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:52 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

it was a real PITA for me to get it started but once i got it started i eventually saw the progress.

also, make sure you tighten it up on the inside "pressure plate" (just made that up) part of the tool that goes inside the caliper itself. then just screw it in clockwise. righty tighty!

on mine, also from harbor freight, there was a little pin that kept falling out of the shaft that was a real PITA, too. that has to be in to get the pressure plate to push up against the inside of the caliper.

man, you are really having some problems! it should NOT be this hard!

good luck!

Attached Thumbnails How To Change Brake Pads?-4393868202_b369dac673.jpg  

Last edited by timothyrw; 02-28-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, that tool would be a lot easier than what I am using. My dad went to O'Reilly and got this tool, I'll attach a photo. It gets in the notches and twists but it isn't going in, even when I put tons of pressure on it.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:02 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, that tool would be a lot easier than what I am using. My dad went to O'Reilly and got this tool, I'll attach a photo. It gets in the notches and twists but it isn't going in, even when I put tons of pressure on it.
You can just return that tool; it's not going to work since you cannot apply adequate forward pressure. Did you refer to the how-to thread I referred to in post #11? The Harbor Freight caliper tool applies pressure to the piston against the opposite side of the caliper as you turn the handle. Just be careful not to tear the boot - saw a post on another site where someone tore the boot.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timothyrw
on mine, also from harbor freight, there was a little pin that kept falling out of the shaft that was a real PITA, too. that has to be in to get the pressure plate to push up against the inside of the caliper.

man, you are really having some problems! it should NOT be this hard!

good luck!
Same thing happened with my caliper tool from Harbor Freight. In fact the pin fell out and got lost. I returned the tool to Harbor Freight and they gave me a new one.

Last edited by 6-Speed; 02-28-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:09 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

After you get the piston reset, make sure you clock it where the notches are positioned as shown in the photo below. One of the notches fits onto a pin on the backside of the in-board brake pad.

As you lower the caliper back over the pads, make sure the pads remain positioned squarely against the rotor and not cocked at an angle, especially when the caliper begins to press against the little springs on the pads.

Last edited by 6-Speed; 02-28-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:27 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
After you get the piston reset, make sure you clock it where the notches are positioned as shown in the photo below. One of the notches fits onto a pin on the backside of the in-board brake pad.

As you lower the caliper back over the pads, make sure the pads remain positioned squarely against the rotor and not cocked at an angle, especially when the caliper begins to press against the little springs on the pads.
Doesn't that depend on the pad? I didn't notice any on my HPS's.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
Doesn't that depend on the pad? I didn't notice any on my HPS's.
The pin is circled on the outboard pad; they are on the rear pads only.

Quick Reply: How To Change Brake Pads?