Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaftmasters experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Driveline shop installs my Steeda and the flange tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't end up with a "fussy" vibration problem.

I wonder if shaft could be out of balance? Have you checked to see if there is runout?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

@east,
I heard you need Adj UCA to correct the pinion angle. With a one-piece driveshaft and a lowered rear, the rear pinion is out of alignment. did i get that right?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Driveline shop installs my Steeda and the flange tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't end up with a "fussy" vibration problem.

I wonder if shaft could be out of balance? Have you checked to see if there is runout?
Can I ask how much they are charging for install?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Shaftmaster's website says that they are balanced twice, the second time 180* of the first time, so I don't see how the 180* trick should make it any different. I'm hopping that mine goes smoothly, since I'm all stock
Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fresh_GT
Can I ask how much they are charging for install?
$50 is what I was quoted.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
@east,
I heard you need Adj UCA to correct the pinion angle. With a one-piece driveshaft and a lowered rear, the rear pinion is out of alignment. did i get that right?
Yes but even Bob agreed that a 1" drop without pinion angle adjustment isn't enough to cause the massive vibrations I was getting. I'm hoping I either fudged the install by over-torquing the bolts or SOMETHING...or that the 180 degree trick works...

This rain needs to gtfo.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 AM
shaftmasters

Originally Posted by East87
Yes but even Bob agreed that a 1" drop without pinion angle adjustment isn't enough to cause the massive vibrations I was getting. I'm hoping I either fudged the install by over-torquing the bolts or SOMETHING...or that the 180 degree trick works...

This rain needs to gtfo.
It is our opinion that a 1 inch drop does not change the pinion angle enough to cause a vibration. We rotate all of these Mustang driveshafts 180 degrees at the front and 120 degrees at the rear in our balancer to ensure proper balance no matter which way they end up being bolted up in the vehicle. I suggested if you wanted to you could try rotating it 90 degrees. If you ended up having excessive loctite buildup between the mating surfaces this could potentially cause a vibration because it could throw it off center. Based on past experiences I really feel that if you continue to have a vibration that I would look to the suspension mods that you have done as being the most likely cause.(ie, lower control arms and relo brackets). These mods have probably threw off your pinion angle enough to cause the vibration that you are experiencing. We want all of our customers to be happy with their purchase and we hope that you can resolve your issue. If not we will be happy to issue you a full refund including paying for the return UPS.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 AM
NavAv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sp3kter
I got the direct bolt on a few weeks ago but we have been having snow and rain the past few weeks so i have not installed my. By the way how hard was it to properly torque the hex bolts they included in the kit?
i didnt even bother torquing them since theres no room to fit the required sockets in there. i just put em in as tight as i could, especially with the threadlocker on there theres no way theyre gonna back out.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:53 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shaftmasters
It is our opinion that a 1 inch drop does not change the pinion angle enough to cause a vibration. We rotate all of these Mustang driveshafts 180 degrees at the front and 120 degrees at the rear in our balancer to ensure proper balance no matter which way they end up being bolted up in the vehicle. I suggested if you wanted to you could try rotating it 90 degrees. If you ended up having excessive loctite buildup between the mating surfaces this could potentially cause a vibration because it could throw it off center. Based on past experiences I really feel that if you continue to have a vibration that I would look to the suspension mods that you have done as being the most likely cause.(ie, lower control arms and relo brackets). These mods have probably threw off your pinion angle enough to cause the vibration that you are experiencing. We want all of our customers to be happy with their purchase and we hope that you can resolve your issue. If not we will be happy to issue you a full refund including paying for the return UPS.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see how my test drive goes. I want this to work out so badly... The driveshaft was an awesome improvement to the car.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

my Shaftmasters driveshaft JUST came in today...pretty excited to get it on.... im assuming ya'll received the "universal joint" with the driveshaft?? is this piece even used?? I'm going to take it to a performance shop here and also probably get a dual friction centerforce clutch as well and save some money on labor

Quick Reply: Shaftmasters experience