Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning $$$

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tpjb57
Ok so several options on the tuner. so what exactly does the tuner do to the computer? can it be reversed? will the gas milage suffer? sounds so simple cannot understand why it costs so much. can I use the tuner on another Gt? my only experience is with a diesel truck and a bullydog and wow what a diffference. personally I don't like the throttle lag......with a fly by wire system I am waiting for the toyota throttle problem to happen. I would also like to change the shift points. any help would be great. Thanks
Tom
Basically it rewrites the program with one that is not as restrictive as the stock program. Depending on who writes you program, they vary SLIGHTLY in one aspect or another. Gas mileage is supposed to actually improve abit due to the engine being more efficient, but in reality most people tend to drive the car harder cuz it is so much livlier. It cost so much cuz it is a pretty dramatic change (and well worth it IMO). Once you tune a vehicle, it is "married" to the tuner. It is like a one for one swap. The performance tune is removed from your tuner and put in the car, and the stock tune is removed from the car and stored in the tuner. So no, you cant tune more than one GT at a time. The throttle lag is EASILY cured with a tune. I actually had brenspeed rewrite my tune cuz the response was TOO quick for the rough roads here.

There are many good tuners, brenspeed, bbr, etc. For auto's, many people like bama's tunes, and since he has now hooked up with AM, it should be a solid product.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Well, you will have a handheld device with tunes loaded on it by the vendor of your choice. That is assuming you don't have a mustang compatible tuner already. When you speak with your vendor, you can tell them what you want or what you are looking for and they will custom write it for you. Usually the handheld will become vin locked to your car, so you cannot put those tunes on another car. What happens is that you connect to the OBD port, the tuner will download your stock tune from the computer, then it uploads the tune you choose. Very easy. I would check out brenspeed.com: they sell SCT handhelds. They have a video on how to upload tunes also.

Bama at american muscle is becoming very alluring because if you buy their handheld, you get free updated tunes for life. Both are top rated, but I'm satisfied with my brenspeed.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
. The throttle lag is EASILY cured with a tune. I actually had brenspeed rewrite my tune cuz the response was TOO quick for the rough roads here..
Lol, It was funny watching the porter try to drive my car.

You really have to think there was an egg under the throttle or you'll just crash into the car in front or spin your wheels
Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Also, the better custom tunes are specific to one vehicle and can't be used on another car. Some of the lesser performing canned tunes may be used on different vehicles depending on the vendor, if I recall.