Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 mustang claustrophic? Help please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 03:33 PM
ChewbaccaD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: '05 mustang claustrophic? Help please...

bottom line, you get used to it pretty fast. I've driven SUVs for the last dozen years since my last Mustang. It took me a bit to get used to the lower ride, but I never felt claustrophobic. I do occasionally have issues judging the nose length, but that's probably my own fault because I back in most places or park out in the middle of nowhere... so the problem kinda solves itself I would agree that the doors feel a bit high for resting your arm on them, but that's more of a passenger issue for me since I have a Manual.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Racnnut
1st Gear Member

My other vehicle is a Ford E-150 large conversion van. Talk about night and day. When I first got my Mustang, it seemed like I couldn't see. I went from no visible hood, large windows all aroumd and much higher than most vehicles. Talk about no visibility. I felt like I couldn't see for about the first 30 minutes. After getting the seat just right and driving it for a while, I became very accustomed to it. Now I switch between the 2 vehicles without even noticing the drastic differences in view and am entirely confortable in either one. Of course my Stang is sooo much more fun to drive and sounds better too! I love my car!

Kathy
Old 07-30-2005, 09:48 PM
ss
2nd Gear Member

The new 'stang does have the opposite of the "cab forward" design that some other car was pushing a few years back. I find it part of the appeal. Just look at the beautiful lines it creates in the overall appearence. Like previously mentioned, there is a big American V-8 in there. Now when I get back into my expedition I spend several minutes adjusting the seat, trying to get the same feel. It just doesn't work. I feel like I'm going to fall over frontwards if I hit the brakes.

I have a very steep hill to drive over when I leave home and at a certain point, I can't see over the hood! It's a little of a thrill ride. I haven't worked up the courage to try to catch some air over the hill yet, but some day..... Don't let it discourage you from owning one. This car almost drives itself.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:02 PM
freakatthewheel
1st Gear Member

Im 5'7", slender.... I fit right in the cockpit with just about any setting of the driver seat. No claustrophobia to speak of whatsoever. With my preferred seat setting I dont even see the hood except for a slight cresent just below the windshield wipers. My biggest gripe is the blinspot the A pillars create. They are quite bulky up there... you gotta nudge yer head a little left & right to make sure intersections are clear, but Im used to that as I drive a Ford Econoline cargo van all day and its the same thing. The Mustang is awesome, but I will admit there are a lot of other great vehicles that may suit you better. Don't feel "herded" into getting the new pony because of all the raves... or do, hell I did and I love it!

EDIT: stupid me... I meant to say "I dont even see the hood except for a slight cresent just ABOVE the windshield wipers.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:24 AM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

How tall are you bolbo? I'm 6'4" and love the car (seat adjusted down) and a buddy of mine that test drove it with me ~5'9" put the seat up and loved it too.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:05 AM
bolbo

I'm right at 6'0". I appreciate all the responses. It's interesting that some have had the same concern, then overcame them with driving time. But I also appreciate the comments about blind spots (when turning) being a potential problem. It's not something I have to contend with currently.

I realize that as I look closely at the coupe at dealerships, that it really has sports car lines. No doubt, it looks sporty on the outside. The roof line is curved, as well, and all the proportions are right for a nice looking car. I guess you pay the price when you sit in it and expect something other than 'sport'.

Since this car would have to be a daily driver, it's possible that the person(s) who suggested that this just may not be the best choice, are giving the best advice. But, I'll see if I can get some drive time in one before giving up hope.

Claustrophobia wasn't the best word for me to use. I just don't want to feel that I'm in one of those chop-top '32 fords or whatever. When I get in my 150 hp Altima it's a comfortable (old pair of sneakers) fit, ride(?) and view. Nice and open and not a concern in the world (except for the fact I'm driving a '98 Altima). The Mustang felt like a beast of a vehicle sitting in the driver's seat. First the hood, and then even worse the top of the windshield cutting off what seemed to be about 2 or 3 inches to soon. It's just something I'll have to work through. Again, I appreciate all the varied responses
Old 07-31-2005, 11:58 AM
jadebox

So, I really really would appreciate any and all posts from those that have either the gt or v6 (preferably coupe, but all welcome) and can offer some input on this. I'm sure some of you come from a school where this type of view is more normal, but I'm hoping I hear from some of you that came from something closer to my car...and how you have adjusted. Thanks much in advance....
I don't feel at all claustrophobic in our GT convertible. It fits me much better than our '93 did. In the '93 I had to lower the seat all the way and push it back to avoid my knees hitting the dash. That position meant I had to lean forward to reach the radio controls. In the new car, I sit up higher and closer to the steering wheel. I can comfortably reach all the controls and don't feel like my head is about to hit the roof.

Having said that, the view out the front window is restricted compared to most cars. But you'll get used to it just as convertible drivers get used to the restricted view out the back when the top is up.

-- Roger
http://mustang.jadebox.com/
Old 07-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Leseetsa

I chose the Mustang laragely because of the fit/view/feel from the driver's seat. I'm 5'8" with a long back. My first car was a 65 Stang and I never had a car since that 'fit' me. In fact, I was originally going to buy a (gasp!) Corolla and went to an auto show and sat in it. My head was about 1/2" from the top! The Ford exhibit was right next to the Toyota exhibit and I saw a windveil blue GT and HAD to check it out. I was sort of kidding and told my friends "If I fit in this car, I'm getting it!" I loved the fit.

I've had my 05 Stang since January and everytime I look at it or sit in the cockpit I have a big grin on my face! I agree there are blind spots but I've gotten used to moving my head around to get a clear view. I am completely comfortable driving the car now. My plan is to have this car until it becomes another "classic" and people say "Wow, isn't that one of those original '05s?"

Old 07-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Never really noticed it... if you get to know your car and where the bad spots are, you can compensate... all cars have blind spots.. some are worse than others... and if you want the best visibility... buy a drop-top..

If it really is an issue, don't get a Mustang... I don't think there are any aftermarket parts that fix it...
Old 07-31-2005, 03:26 PM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: longhornmustang

It seems like the door panel is too high; I can't easily rest my arm on the door when the windows are open. If I adjust the whole seat higher, my knees bang against the steering column.
OMFG! Same **** here. I love having my elbow on the window sill with my hand controlling the steering column but I can't do it now. It ****ing blows.

Quick Reply: '05 mustang claustrophic? Help please...