Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed: Keyless Push Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
Heh...I knew it was for a Toyota / Lexus when I saw the pics. Reminded me of all the videos I've been seeing on youtube of people making fun of that idiot in California with the Prius that "wouldn't slow down".

Cool mod though, just wish you could have put it in a better spot. Either next to the headlight switch, or replacing the power plug between the ac vents (although that is ultra handy for a radar detector).
Yeah, man, that is the spot I really wanted to put it, but I would have needed a MUCH smaller start button (smaller case and not as deep). Once I got over that it wasn't a big deal. The functionality is what I really like about it.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I think the problem is our interior doesn't really have any other flat unoccupied areas to install the button. Sounds like a very complex but cool system.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
I think the problem is our interior doesn't really have any other flat unoccupied areas to install the button. Sounds like a very complex but cool system.
You're right about that one! I was thinking of putting it right next to where the ignition is, but on the dash, but there was way too much crap behind the dash in that spot so it wasn't possible.

My wife told me that with where the start button is now it looks like I'm hot wiring the car when I start it
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 AM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

Sweet, I was waiting for this post! Awesome man Im glad you got it installed and you are happy with it. I def gotta see a video of this. How did the install shop disable your steering column lock?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

How cool is that! I too am not crazy about the placement, I'd rather have such a nice feature out in the open to show it off. But alas, I guess there really isn't a good place to put it.

Still, the functionality has to be just tremendous. The one thing that I would miss is the ability to remotely unlock the trunk.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by branman1
Sweet, I was waiting for this post! Awesome man Im glad you got it installed and you are happy with it. I def gotta see a video of this. How did the install shop disable your steering column lock?
Thanks! There are two ways they can disable your steering wheel lock. The first way is to actually drill it and remove the locking pins, etc..... The second and easiest way is to cut the metal portion of your key off and leave it in the ignition slot in the "on" or "acc" position.

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
How cool is that! I too am not crazy about the placement, I'd rather have such a nice feature out in the open to show it off. But alas, I guess there really isn't a good place to put it.

Still, the functionality has to be just tremendous. The one thing that I would miss is the ability to remotely unlock the trunk.
Yep, with all the cool things it does, it does not unlock the trunk, so i have to lean inside and hit the button.

Another feature is that you can leave the engine running without having to worry about somone stealing your car. The install guy said the Mustang is one of the few vehicles he has seen where he was able to make that possible due to wiring in some of the other cars he's put them in. If your car is running and you exit the vehicle (the key fob is on you), it will lock the doors as you walk away. If someone were to try to steal your car and broke in, the second they tapped the brake pedal the engine would stop and the system could disable.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Dave - you are a modding madman!

This is quite cool. I do have one concern though: what if your battery dies (which apparently is not uncommon on our cars)? Since you would most likely be "keyless" when on the road, seems that it would be difficult/impossible to get the hood released to jump it. Did the installer mention anything about this?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by incorrigible
Dave - you are a modding madman!

This is quite cool. I do have one concern though: what if your battery dies (which apparently is not uncommon on our cars)? Since you would most likely be "keyless" when on the road, seems that it would be difficult/impossible to get the hood released to jump it. Did the installer mention anything about this?
I did ask him about that..... He said the best option there would be to keep one of your original factory keys at home and have someone bring that to you if your battery were to die.

I've never had a battery die on me, but it's good to have a contingency plan. I think what I'll do is put one in a magnetic lock box under the car if I ever need to get to it. The installer said that he's never installed one on a car and had someone call and ask him how to get in if the battery dies.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 AM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Discodave for the info.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

its a neat system in theory but IMO its a PITA over the years. The vette has one, and I would just rather use the key.

Quick Reply: Installed: Keyless Push Start Button