Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contents of a used S197 oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by effin' speedracer
I have pictures of 2 different filters and the cleaner filter is from my Cobra at a 3000 mile oil change and the dirty one is from another engine with more miles on it.
The Cobra filter looks way cleaner than the other. Either the other car lives on a dirt road (lol) or it has much more mileage on it.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Engine wear cannot be determined by looking at the inside of the filter. Oil analysis will identify the composition of the wear particulars which provides info on WHICH internal component(s) is the culprit. But it usually takes multiple analysis to determine what's going on unless, of course, you have something catastrophic occuring. Think of it as a doctor doing blood analysis.

Damaging particles can be too small to be seen by the naked eye.

NOW can I have my fried chicken, Shella?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:59 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Engine wear cannot be determined by looking at the inside of the filter. Oil analysis will identify the composition of the wear particulars which provides info on WHICH internal component(s) is the culprit. But it usually takes multiple analysis to determine what's going on unless, of course, you have something catastrophic occuring. Think of it as a doctor doing blood analysis.

You're getting there Nuke Wait....I should tell you......I don't know how to cook.

Your explanation has good reasoning and logic...and helps me to understand better. Nonetheless....I do think a super nasty-looking filter with lots of metal flakes would be reason for concern. I think I shall hack into mine.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Lol, no.....I would never know how to tear into one of those things....
I did hear, however, you could tell a lot about engine wear based on what the inside of a used filter looked like. I was curious as to what that meant. I suppose you would see metal flakes?

Your pictures show how much variation can be seen within the filters themselves. Very nice job.

I was wondering what would make you think "Boy, my engine is going to blow" just by looking at the filter.....does it look all black and nasty? Or is there more to it than that?
it would be hard to tell if the engine would be about to blow by the oil. alot of things come to take place on this. i seen engines run on sludge and still run find hahah.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 PM
effin' speedracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

Not so, I work on heavy equipment and when we suspect a engine problem we will cut open a filter (oil analysis is used too) and check for metal. The second picture I posted has metal particals that can be seen by the naked eye.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
You're getting there Nuke Wait....I should tell you......I don't know how to cook.

Your explanation has good reasoning and logic...and helps me to understand better. Nonetheless....I do think a super nasty-looking filter with lots of metal flakes would be reason for concern. I think I shall hack into mine.

NOW you're cookin', Shella. And BTW, I love it when you hack dirty...
Old 03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by effin' speedracer
Not so, I work on heavy equipment and when we suspect a engine problem we will cut open a filter (oil analysis is used too) and check for metal. The second picture I posted has metal particals that can be seen by the naked eye.
The metal particles may not tell you exactly what is going on, but they would perhaps indicate a problem. I guess I am paranoid because I have always taken my car to a total stranger to do the oil change, and no one in the past has ever taken the time to look into this for me.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I stated that damaging particles CAN be too small to be seen by the naked eye; not that there wouldn't be particles large enough to be seen. And if you KEEP seeing metal particles every oil change, you have real problems. Typical wear particles are in the micron size range.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

if you want a bit more info about what a oil analysis shows you , check out this thread I did some time ago...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-...is-report.html
Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

If you were to open up your filter and see something awful chances are you'd already be aware of it.
Just be thankful if you never changed oil in your car and see it come out white!
I did that on my Yamaha RZ350 and it was like milking my engine!

Quick Reply: Contents of a used S197 oil filter