Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Fuel and Boost questions????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 AM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Default Low Fuel and Boost questions????

Hey Guys, couple questions regarding fuel and boost applications.

Today i was driving home for work. I had about a quarter of a tank of gas left. I have dual Gt pumps, 39 lb/hr injectors. Well, I guess I should have known better, but I got on it alittle bit coming home, and I saw my fuel pressure on my nexus Fuel pressure gauge blink red about .000000002 seconds before my car hesitated and "bucked" at about 4000rpm....(Insert fist in my face here).

I immediately put the car in neutral, and let it sit for a second, trying to decide weither or not I had blown my engine, or if I had no problems...Guess I was lucky ,because I had no problems. I babied it to the gas station, and filled up of course.

My question is, what is generally considered the "safe" zone with WOT and fuel level? Should I always be over a half a tank? I assume i got extremely lucky that I didn't have a problem. This brings me to something else though:

Last week I was driving to miami, doing about 80 on i95. I seem to have the bad send sensor that alot of other people have. Basically my fuel gauge will become erratic. It will go down to empty, then come back up again. It does this sporatically, and it's not when flying around a turn or anything, I was just cruising in 5th gear down a straight stretch of highway when this was happening. Well, I had about a half a tank of fuel, and I did a "close to WOT" in 5th gear pull. The same thing that I described earlier happened as well. This seemed odd to me, because I had about a half a tank this time. Can someone shed some light on my novice please? Thanks guys!

chris
Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well it was a wake up call, just be a little more
cautious in the future when below 1/3 of a tank.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I dont get on it when I have a quarter tank or less..
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
SpeedingBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05stangguy
Hey Guys, couple questions regarding fuel and boost applications.

Today i was driving home for work. I had about a quarter of a tank of gas left. I have dual Gt pumps, 39 lb/hr injectors. Well, I guess I should have known better, but I got on it alittle bit coming home, and I saw my fuel pressure on my nexus Fuel pressure gauge blink red about .000000002 seconds before my car hesitated and "bucked" at about 4000rpm....(Insert fist in my face here).

I immediately put the car in neutral, and let it sit for a second, trying to decide weither or not I had blown my engine, or if I had no problems...Guess I was lucky ,because I had no problems. I babied it to the gas station, and filled up of course.

My question is, what is generally considered the "safe" zone with WOT and fuel level? Should I always be over a half a tank? I assume i got extremely lucky that I didn't have a problem. This brings me to something else though:

Last week I was driving to miami, doing about 80 on i95. I seem to have the bad send sensor that alot of other people have. Basically my fuel gauge will become erratic. It will go down to empty, then come back up again. It does this sporatically, and it's not when flying around a turn or anything, I was just cruising in 5th gear down a straight stretch of highway when this was happening. Well, I had about a half a tank of fuel, and I did a "close to WOT" in 5th gear pull. The same thing that I described earlier happened as well. This seemed odd to me, because I had about a half a tank this time. Can someone shed some light on my novice please? Thanks guys!

chris
Hey Chris, Im no expert here either but this is something thatnow have first hand experience with. The same thing happened to me this weekend. I was on the way home from having my saleen 3 installed at Brenspeed along with a bunch of other goodies and one of them happened to be the GT500 dual fuel pump. We had just filled the tank and left the gas ststion entered the highway and just glanced down at the cluster and did a doubletake. I asked my husband if he was sure he put the gas in. he said yes he filled it. Well the gauge was down at the E and the check engine light was on. Pulled into the first rest area and got on the phone with Dave at Brenspeed. He said that the aftermarket fuel systems change and the sending unit had to have some wires changed. Thank god is was an easy fix. Sounds like what is going on with yours. Just like you i was worried about creating a lean condition. Dave said it wasnt a problem with the fuel getting there it was the sending unit itself. You can go into the wires and splice the blue intothe green. vice versa. Had to clear the code and change the wireing around and all is good to go now.