Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance braging

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

Hey, its nice that lambos and ferraris and zr1 vettes and all the other 100K$ plus cars can do 200 mph but geuss what this is america and your not doing no 200 mph so unless they want to race on the autobahn I feel that in this country 0-100 is where it matters. And my personal belief no matter how rich i became (or become iam still pretty young here) but i would never buy a foriegn car.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by solidsnakegt89
And my personal belief no matter how rich i became (or become iam still pretty young here) but i would never buy a foriegn car.
That's unfortunate. You'd really be missing out, and for what?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

I have my reasons. I would drive one to see how they feel but wouldnt blow a 1/4 mil on a foriegn car.

Originally Posted by chain1
That's unfortunate. You'd really be missing out, and for what?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:36 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

there's ALWAYS someone faster especially in south florida, so many people with money and you can drive your nice cars year round without the snow.

when you want to feel slow go out on 27 when they're racing I've seen 800whp porsches, 700whp civics, drag only non-street legal domestics poppin wheelies on slicks, turbo'd and nitrous street bikes with 400whp, you'll feel slow then

for the most part I agree, once you get a 115+mph trap car you're faster than 99% of the cars on the road. there's what, maybe 25 cars that trap 115mph or higher bone stock out of the factory? and not too many people out there are gonna spend a bunch of money on their cars for power like we have. typically most people just do the simple power bolt ons like intake and exhaust and stuff to make the car look cool like rims and a drop. a pretty small percentage will actually spend several thousand dollars to add real HP.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:40 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I have my reasons. I would drive one to see how they feel but wouldnt blow a 1/4 mil on a foriegn car.
I like my mustang but you're living under a rock if you think that any domestic car can hold a candle to the quality of any exotic car manufacturer. America doesn't make the best cars anymore (if we ever did) if I ever came into a lot of money there's no domestic I'd buy over something like a BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

And my personal belief no matter how rich i became (or become iam still pretty young here) but i would never buy a foriegn car.
So what would you compromise on if the US domestic mfrs stop making the kind of car you want in the way you want it built? Don't think it couldn't happen - just because it's an easy example here, try making a list of mass-market 4-door sedans with 6 cylinders and a manual transmission.

Anyway,

Do you "put up with" a domestic product that you don't particularly like to drive in order to stay with something that's at least officially domestic?

Do you suddenly come to a huge philosophical shift in what's important to you when it comes to your vehicle (means giving up on your past experiences)?

Do you bail on this currently held belief and buy foreign if they still provide what you're looking for?

Do you stop looking at new cars entirely?

Norm
Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Are you absolutely sure that your Ford is all-American? Have you any idea how many Ford parts are made overseas, like China and India? You may be driving a partly foreign car already....lol
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

From what I understand in Europe the Mustang is consider special and their cars like Bmw, Mercedes are taxi cabs nothing wrong with him only to want an domestic car if more people thought like that it would sure help the economy IMO Those exotic are nice but it sure not cheap. Ford got close with the Ford GT and they still had over a 100 grand to play to get to some of those exotic . They could build a car like them easy if they wanted to. the Market isn't big enough to build a large amount of unit. I personally would take a Ford GT over a Ferrari or Porsche I thing on this site This may be a favorite.IMO
Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Paul1588
1st Gear Member

I support you I've never owned a foreign car and never plan on it, and the day they do away with stick shifts is the day I stop buying new cars
Old 04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paul1588
I support you I've never owned a foreign car and never plan on it, and the day they do away with stick shifts is the day I stop buying new cars
you mean that stick shift that's made in Mexico?

Ford's are assembled in the US but their parts are as foreign as any other car. no company can compete without getting parts made where the labor is cheap.

philosophically with two things being equal the one made in the US would sway my decision, but honestly that's not how capitalism works. you want my business? then make a good product at a good price and people will buy your product. throw your biases out the window and honestly compare a Mustang to a comparably priced import sports car like an S2000 and the S2000 blows it away in quality plus they hold their value.

again I like my stang, it's the first domestic I've owned, it's fun with the blower, makes cool V8 noises, and nobody has stolen it yet but I've driven enough other cars to be honest and say the build quality isn't that great for the money.

Quick Reply: performance braging