Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock when i shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:02 PM
ploe

Default knock (clunk) when i shift

I think I'm just being paranoid, but I could swear that when I shift I hear a 'knock' (can't think of any other way to describe it) from the rear-end just as the clutch totally engages. It seems to be more noticeable when shifting to 3rd. If I ease of the clutch really really slowly I don't hear the knock.

It kind of makes sense to me. Obviously if you dump the clutch it's going to make noise, but I think I have to be unnecessarily gentle for it to not knock. I don't know it could have always been like that. :/

Do you think this is anything to be concerned about? Should I take it in? I feel like the dealer's going to think I'm crazy.

Last edited by ploe; 04-18-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Knocking from the h-pipe maybe?
Old 04-18-2010, 02:56 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

It's funny, when I read the title I was thinking about engine knock, i.e. detonation. My car seems to knock for a split second between shifts sometimes, and I was all excited that someone else was complaining about a problem I was having! Oh well..

Anyway, it could be the POS 2-piece driveshaft that we have. These cars certainly aren't known for tight, quiet trans/driveline operation, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if what you are hearing is "normal". The other problem (for me at least) is that since the computer is keeping the throttle open slightly when you shift, the RPMs aren't falling as much as they could/should IMO, and so if you try to shift at a reasonable speed the transmission is having to slow the engine down. It is worse for certain gear changes, I believe because of the difference in ratios between the two gears. For instance, going into 5th can be a bit noisy if you don't rev match (i.e.: wait about 3 seconds before letting the clutch out :-P).

It's hard to tell without actually being there to hear it, and I'm no mechanic...
Old 04-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

This happens to me as well... though it really only happens when I'm shifting into 2nd, especially if i'm going uphill. If I'm lazy, I hear the "clunk"... but if I carefully try to make a smoother shift by letting the clutch out a bit slower, I don't hear it. I can shift just fine into 3rd, 4th, and 5th just fine without ever hearing the "knock" or "clunk". I was just under the impression that the stock 2 pc. driveshaft is to blame, and I'll live with it for the time being. Hopefully if I ever upgrade to a 1 pc. driveshaft, it will take care of the issue.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
It's funny, when I read the title I was thinking about engine knock, i.e. detonation. My car seems to knock for a split second between shifts sometimes, and I was all excited that someone else was complaining about a problem I was having! Oh well..
I used to see that with a CAI tune I used to have. But since I don't beat on my car and really only powershifted to "test" it, I didn't worry about it.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:41 PM
ploe

yeah, 'clunk' is probably a better way to describe it; i'm 100% sure the sound is coming from behind me. it seems to be more prominent when i shift at low revs. it definately does not happen in 4th or 5th. mostly 3rd and sometimes 2nd.

now that you mention it, when i take the time to rev match just like when i take the time to really ease off the clutch, it doesn't clunk.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Grinder88
2nd Gear Member

Ya it clunks for me to, your not alone, i just figured it was ****ty shifting on my part