Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! GT 500 Fuel Pump Install Went Bad...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

It's alive!!!!!! Thanks everyone special thanks to 2007CalSpec you knew just what I was missing and it helped a lot. That dab of crazy glue worked great less than a pen tip.

Man you can really hear this pump when it's working no question if it is getting power or not you will know.

About to go for a quick test drive.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Test drive went well car runs great seems to have a smother idle.

Only problem is the gas gauge doesn't read right and moves a lot. I filled the car with 12.7 gallons but the gauge only went between half a tank and 3/4 of a tank not even close to the F. Any chance this will straight out on it's own or do I have to take it out yet again?

Miles to empty look a little low showed 199 I usually get 220 or so before needing gas.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Analyzer52
It's alive!!!!!! Thanks everyone special thanks to 2007CalSpec you knew just what I was missing and it helped a lot. That dab of crazy glue worked great less than a pen tip.

Man you can really hear this pump when it's working no question if it is getting power or not you will know.

About to go for a quick test drive.
Glad I could help! The GT500 pump is noisy on the initial start but it quiets down once the fuel lines are filled.

Originally Posted by Analyzer52
Test drive went well car runs great seems to have a smother idle.

Only problem is the gas gauge doesn't read right and moves a lot. I filled the car with 12.7 gallons but the gauge only went between half a tank and 3/4 of a tank not even close to the F. Any chance this will straight out on it's own or do I have to take it out yet again?

Miles to empty look a little low showed 199 I usually get 220 or so before needing gas.
How much gas was in your tank before the install? If it was really low and you filled up with 12.7 gals then it may not be enough IF you have the fuel fill shut off problem so many Mustang owners have experienced; including me. The gas station pumps will shut off prematurely before the tank is actually full. I would try filling up again and let the gas station pump shut off by itself so that you don't accidentally cause an overflow trying to force more gas in the tank. After that, check and see if your gauge reads full. Also, did you make sure the alignment arrow on the GT500 pump is lined up with the mark on the car's sheetmetal next to the pump? Another possibility is a bent float arm which could cause wrong fuel level readings. Double check your sender wires too. Make sure the connectors didn't come loose when you reinstalled the rear seat or something.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
Glad I could help! The GT500 pump is noisy on the initial start but it quiets down once the fuel lines are filled.

How much gas was in your tank before the install? If it was really low and you filled up with 12.7 gals then it may not be enough IF you have the fuel fill shut off problem so many Mustang owners have experienced; including me. The gas station pumps will shut off prematurely before the tank is actually full. I would try filling up again and let the gas station pump shut off by itself so that you don't accidentally cause an overflow trying to force more gas in the tank. After that, check and see if your gauge reads full. Also, did you make sure the alignment arrow on the GT500 pump is lined up with the mark on the car's sheetmetal next to the pump? Another possibility is a bent float arm which could cause wrong fuel level readings. Double check your sender wires too. Make sure the connectors didn't come loose when you reinstalled the rear seat or something.
Before the install it was less that a 1/4 of a tank said 20 miles to empty. After the install it said 14 miles to empty and soon as I pull out of the driveway it said 11 miles to empty. I will double check the sending wires but I thought if they were loose they won't read at all they were wrong before and I fixed them took the blue clip out and made sure they clicked in place and everything. I will check the arrow thing but the pump really will only sit one way in those two notches before you put the lock ring on.

I have never put more than about 12 gallons of gas in the car before.

Last edited by Analyzer52; 04-20-2010 at 10:13 PM.