Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$6500 to spend to rebuilt motor - How would you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Your thread was very informative Bruce. I'll be turning to it as the build goes. Any advice in taking the engine out? I am planning on doing it next weekend? As far as the tranny goes, the ALLDATA simply says "remove clutch", so anything more descriptive of the process would be handy lol.

Thanks all for your support. Once this engine is out and I see what went wrong, I'll be going from there.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:41 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Your thread was very informative Bruce. I'll be turning to it as the build goes. Any advice in taking the engine out? I am planning on doing it next weekend? As far as the tranny goes, the ALLDATA simply says "remove clutch", so anything more descriptive of the process would be handy lol.

Thanks all for your support. Once this engine is out and I see what went wrong, I'll be going from there.
Just usual stuff like remove the battery and tray, pb blaster on the exhaust manifold collectors, support the tranny, remove the motor mounts, leave the ps and ac pumps plumbed and in the car.

The hood and radiator can stay attached. Be prepared for all the coolant that comes out when you pull the heads. I thought I had drained it all but there was a good quantity still in the heads. The heads are finished to a fine ra. Don't use anything but chemicals, plastic scrapers, and elbow grease to clean the mating surfaces.

It's not that hard to do, just messy and tedious. Get a leveler for your picker.

It's a good time to go clutch shopping since you have to transfer everything over anyway. BTW you will need an 8 bolt flywheel to go with your forged crank.

oneeyedwillie has a really good build thread on this forum. Lot's of good stuff there. I'm sure you know Hammeron has a sticky to use for reference too.

Good luck, make sure to start a thread so we can see it.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

As the car only has 6800 miles I was going to leave the stock clutch in. My power aspirations are in the 450-475 rwhp range. My driving habits are pretty moderate. All that said, do you think I should stick with the stock setup and just replace the clutch as needed?

So if I go the forged route the stock flywheel will not match up? If thats the case, any recommendations?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Why stop at a Stroked 302... Why not get an actual 302 Boss Big Bore Block?

Removing the motor... It's fun...
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I know nothing about the boss big bore block. I do know brenspeeds reputation though and trust it .
Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Then just stick with the B302...
Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
...So if I go the forged route the stock flywheel will not match up? If thats the case, any recommendations?
The stock crank has six bolts, a forged crank has 8 bolts. The flywheel bolts to the crank. So a stock flywheel (6 bolts) will not fit on a forged crank.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:26 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Yeah I got that part . Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good brand.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I would also consider the 302 and ported heads.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Bruce on this. Unless you plan on hitting the strip all the time doesnt make sense to spend the extra money for a larger displacement when you could just change the blower pulley. Use the cash you intended for another build and add it to something else. JMO. The Big bore will add another 70 pounds to an already heavy car.

Quick Reply: $6500 to spend to rebuilt motor - How would you do it?