Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I love my Nitto 555's, but it's important to know that these are summer tires ONLY. Being in Ohio, you can obviously only use them during the warm months and have a separate winter set. As mentioned, it depends on your driving styles. I did consider the Pilot sports previously as they were from what I recall all season. I like to have fun with my stang so I went with a summer/winter setup. Plus I didn't want to run my good rims during winter since it's a DD.

As for the Nitto 555's, they are super sticky and wish I could run them all year round. They handle well in the rain, but I don't push my luck when it's slick out anyways. You just need to be mindful if it's cool in the morning, as you can feel the tire difference between cold and warm/hot.

I had the Pirelli's fail (slip) on me before and I will never use them again. Well ok, the next time I use them will prolly be when I burn them to the ground lol.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

BFG KDW2....they have been awesome for me in rain and dry. they are summer only though.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
I've also owned a set of these (on my Trans Am) and was so impressed I'm buying another set for the GT when the stock BFGs wear out. I can't believe the traction, even in the rain. I've never had a tire feel like I was attached to a rail, but the GS-D3 sure did! The tread is by far the bad of the bad.
I had those GS-G3's on my CTS-V. Good tire, but they wear FAST and are terrible when the weather gets cold (below 40F). I only got about 10k miles out of them.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Another plus 1 on the Goodyear F1 GS D3's
I had a set at one point, and then 2 more since I wore those out, lol.
I love em, liked mentioned, not for sub 40 degree weather, but no Ultra High Performance tire really is.
Dry or wet, you were on rails! I Ran the road course all day in a down pour with them and you would swear it was dry! Ok sure you could get it sideways on the turns, but was very controllable, and predictable.

Then I got different wheels, wider in the rear, and they do not make them in the 285/40/18 for the rear. Plus, they were pretty pricy, but worth it imo.

And the Bill! And this was at cost, lol
+ I got an 80 rebate, and 20 in a bonus check from GY.

So I have moved the the GT500 OE F1 Supercar. Still an excellent tire, and way cheaper. Just ordered another set yesterday in fact. Track racing, spirited daily driving, and the fact I cant rotate, I did not get lots of mileage. But that was expected. By the way, Goodyear/Dunlop does not make any tires in a 285/40/18 anymore Tire rack still had some in stock, and I get wholesale pricing from them, so it was still really cheap.

Last time I bought the Supercars, this was cost for them, still about the same now. The price cannot be beat! plus 180 rebate, and 32 buck check from Goodyear

Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

BFG doesnt make the 285/40 for the KDWs either....whats the reason of companies dropping that size?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Yeah, looks like they are on closeout at The Tire Rack, nice price too, buy em up!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM
bigscott
1st Gear Member

pilot sports will be pricey.

I dont get why people buy a "performance" tire and then complain about noise. your gonna get some noise with performance tires especially depending on the tread design. Ride quality isnt gonna be as good either. BUT at least to me that isnt why you buy performance tires....you buy them so you can play hard with your vehicle.

I have heard nitto is basically a cheaper version of toyo proxes.

Im actually looking to replace my stock pirellis with the toyo proxes.

id take a set of nittos tho too lol.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I doubt most of us could hear our tires over our engine/exhaust anyway, lol
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Yeah, looks like they are on closeout at The Tire Rack, nice price too, buy em up!
lol i have thought about that....
Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 PM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

I upgraded my '05 GT with a set of Ford "Fanblade" 18" wheels (Thanks, Nuke). I installed a set of 235/50ZR18 Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires.
I load force balanced them with minimal weight, they're quiet and handle razor-sharp. Have not driven them in the rain, yet.
I have have good experiences with a couple of prior sets of Continentals on various other vehicles and like them.

Quick Reply: Tires