Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does it mean

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

That wrench icon means there's a problem with the electronic throttle control system. Either the gas pedal sensor, throttle position sensor, trottle actuator motor, or the computer...

Last year I had the problem. I had to limp all the way home with it. Bout half a mile...
In my case it was the actual connector that plugs into the throttle actuator motor. One of the connector pins was mangled and not making connection so the computer couldn't even move the throttle plates open.
I even bought a new throttle body but it had the same problem.
Luckily I happend to push on the connector in just the right spot and it started running properly. Whoever installed the terminal pin in that connector did a crappy job and bent it out of shape. I fixed it easily...

You may have had a bad position sensor, etc. Who knows...
If it happens again check the connector pins. Push and pull on the connectors attached to the throttle body...
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by socalwrench
If the check engine light is on- there's most likely a problem that needs attention. Essentially, the light means the PCM has detected a fault and stored a code.

However, if the light were flashing constantly, that means there's a serious problem that could cause permanent damage. In that particular situation, you should have the car towed.

My advice is to find out what code the computer is throwing and go from there. It could definitely be related to your poor fuel economy.
Blinking/flashing wrench or engine light usually means a severe misfire (one that you would hear as a 'fut, fut fut' in the exhaust and possibly feel) and it will cause damager.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
M7MDGOTHICA
1st Gear Member

they fixed that, pulled the codes and had to change my throttle body

i wana know how did the throttle body stopped working what caused that to happen

and the car now is alright but i dont know if its all in my head but like the feel i get when driving is diffrent like maybe a i need to tune it cuz i feel the throttle response is kinda weird