Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bembo package

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

There is quite a bit of misinformation in this thread.
Sam's post is about the only post that has some factual info.

The Brembo Brake package for $1695 is a bargain.

To say you won't get better braking distance is just blasphemy.
You have larger brakes, larger brake pads. Not only will they fade less, but they will grab better and stop better.

Further, with the Brembo brake option you get MUCH better and wider tires.
Instead of all season tires you get Max Performance summer tires.
The better wider tires ALONE would probably stop you 8-10 feet shorter from 70 mph.
And instead of 18 x 8.5 or 19 x 9 inch wheels, you get
wider 19 x 9.5 wheels that are (again as Sam stated) about 3 lbs lighter each, which more than offset any weight gain from the larger Brembo brakes.

Then lets look at tire weight.
The Brembo Brake package, wider, and much better tires weigh
27 lbs each.
The base 18 inch all season tires weigh
29 lbs each
and the optional 19 inch all season tires on the non Brembo package tires weigh
31 lbs each.

So the Brembo brake package tires weigh 2-4 lbs less EACH.
3 lbs lighter wheels and 2-4 lbs lighter tires
That's 5-7 lbs lighter. The slightly larger Brembo brakes probably add at most 2-3 lbs. So you are still ahead of the game weight wise with the Brembo brakes.

Also keep in mind, the Brembo Brake package gets you special suspension and stability control programming that you can't get without it.

So if you think you can get better Brembo brakes, better/lighter tires, bigger, better looking and lighter wheels put on your 2011 GT in the aftermarket for less than $1,695 prepare yourself for big surprise.

And then prepare yourself for an even bigger surprise if you ever have to take your aftermarket bought and installed brakes to your dealer with a problem only to find out they'll deny warranty coverage on the brake system.

If you have any thoughts of adding Brembos later on, just ante up the $1695 and get them from the factory with the factory warranty on them.

Last edited by Driver72; 05-29-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Redfire_07
2nd Gear Member

Bembo package must be a new option on the mustang... why didn't mine come with that option? lol JK I had to laugh at your thread title!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

My $.02 - Unless you know you won't have (or want to) plunk down the money for upgraded brakes later, I'd forgo the Brembo package and get something nicer looking/performing like Stoptech, Baer, Wilwood etc. Not sure I'd spend the money on it myself for Brembo's.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

The Bimbo package is a Vegas option.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

It really just depends on how much money you have laying around

I would probably opt out because I wouldn't keep the stock wheels anyway, so I'd just get aftermarket Brembo's.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:11 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

If you told me you were buying an Aston Martin I would not talk you out of it because it is more car than you need. I might if it cost you more than you could afford. Buy what makes you happy and can afford. If you pay out too much you'll be unhappy so see what that level is and spend accordingly. A valuable life lesson for free now that's a deal.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:41 PM
kawasakiguy
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I don't think I'd spend the money on the brake upgrade, but since I can't get a test drive on any 5.0s I guess I'll save and wait until they are a dime a dozen around here, or when I move to tulsa next year.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Could of sworn the 2011 GT Brembo pkg wheels are 19"x9"(according to Ford info) and not 19"x9.5", maybe I'm misinformed, but didn't Ford make the base GT wheel an 18"x8" wheel with an optional 18"x8" wheel(either with 235/50-18 tires)? The 19" wheels are 19"x8.5"(5 spoke or machined, black multi-spoke), then there's the GT/CS 19"x8.5" wheels(all with 245/45-19 tires) and finally the Brembo pkg 19"x9" wheels(255/40-19 tires)? I'm just reciting what I've read........

Last edited by 05gtdriver; 05-31-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Yes, GT optional 19 inchers are 19 x 8.5
Brembo is 19 x 9
Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
To say you won't get better braking distance is just blasphemy.
You have larger brakes, larger brake pads. Not only will they fade less, but they will grab better and stop better.
Sorry but this is not correct. Larger brakes and pads do not = better braking distance. Lets say you have a 10 in rotor and one piston caliper that can lock the wheel and induce abs. A BBK with 14 inch rotor and 6 piston caliper will not do anything different...think about it. Regarding the brakes fading - base brakes with upgraded pads and fluid do not fade for almost all applications. There are guys winning races with stock rotors and calipers. What causes fade is the stock brake fluid (which boils under intense heat, putting air into the lines and thus a soft pedal) and cheap pads which can be totally destroyed on a race track. If you were to do a test using same tires, same pads, same fluid - only difference being rotors and calipers you'd find the stopping distances nearly equal.

Originally Posted by Driver72
Further, with the Brembo brake option you get MUCH better and wider tires.
Instead of all season tires you get Max Performance summer tires.
The better wider tires ALONE would probably stop you 8-10 feet shorter from 70 mph.
And instead of 18 x 8.5 or 19 x 9 inch wheels, you get
wider 19 x 9.5 wheels that are (again as Sam stated) about 3 lbs lighter each, which more than offset any weight gain from the larger Brembo brakes.

Then lets look at tire weight.
The Brembo Brake package, wider, and much better tires weigh
27 lbs each.
The base 18 inch all season tires weigh
29 lbs each
and the optional 19 inch all season tires on the non Brembo package tires weigh
31 lbs each.

So the Brembo brake package tires weigh 2-4 lbs less EACH.
3 lbs lighter wheels and 2-4 lbs lighter tires
That's 5-7 lbs lighter. The slightly larger Brembo brakes probably add at most 2-3 lbs. So you are still ahead of the game weight wise with the Brembo brakes.

Also keep in mind, the Brembo Brake package gets you special suspension and stability control programming that you can't get without it.

So if you think you can get better Brembo brakes, better/lighter tires, bigger, better looking and lighter wheels put on your 2011 GT in the aftermarket for less than $1,695 prepare yourself for big surprise.

And then prepare yourself for an even bigger surprise if you ever have to take your aftermarket bought and installed brakes to your dealer with a problem only to find out they'll deny warranty coverage on the brake system.

If you have any thoughts of adding Brembos later on, just ante up the $1695 and get them from the factory with the factory warranty on them.
Stickier tires will reduce stopping distances for sure, no argument there. Light weight is always good.

Is the Brembo set up better than base...of course it is. Is it a bargain...you bet. But the basic brake system with upgraded pads and fluid will perform just as well for a whole lot less for *most* applications...certainly for all street use. There are lots of folks out there on tracks, including myself, running the standard 2 piston front, 1 piston rear, <13" rotors and stopping consistently from 120 or more lap after lap.

Last edited by Argonaut; 05-31-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Bembo package