Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to buy a GT/CS

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:32 AM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Default Going to buy a GT/CS

Hey guys, I found this site about 2 months ago and I've been on it literally every day since then!

I had a question I wanted to ask of you all. I've read a few threads about it, but I think what I'm asking is a little different so I wanted to post a new thread and get your guys input. If you just wanna skip to the question, skip the next paragraph. That's explaining the background of the question and not necessary.

I went to the dealership in 08 to trade in the car I'm currently making payments on and to buy a 2009 Mustang GT/CS, but told myself that I should go home and think it over first. That same night I read online about the new 2010 body style and decided to wait and see if I liked it better. I LOVE it. So, after the 2010 came out I wanted to go back to the dealership to get the GT Prem with the 401 Premium Interior Package. However, I then caught wind of the new 5.0 in 2011's model. Now the the 5.0 AND GT/CS are back I want one really, really badly. I had originally told myself to wait for the 2012 so that they could get all the bugs out of the new Engine/Transmission and so on so forth, but I don't know if I can wait. I'm almost done paying off all my school loans and my current cars loan (no plan to sell it or trade it in, I want multiple cars. Some of my friends need to borrow a car occassionally and I'd like to be able to lend them one) and want to save up for the down payment on a 2011 GT/CS.

Questions:
1st: Is the GT/CS going to be back for the 2012 model year or is it only a 1 year return? (Basically, will the 2012 BOSS offering replace it)

2nd: I want to get 0% financing on the car, so will increasing my down payment help with that? (Other than allowing me to get a shorter term and thusly a lower rate) I want a 5 year (or even 4 year) term at 0%.

3rd: What I want is pretty specific, so I think I'll have to custom order it. I want to order it late this year to get the 0% APR incentives (like they did last year), but do I run the risk of Ford canceling my order?

4th: If I custom order it, do I negotiate price and put down the full down payment at the time of the order or at the time the car arrives? I read that Ford requires like a 500 dollar non-refundable payment to custom order cars, but can't believe that they'd allow anyone and everyone with $500 order a car that might not sell for a while and that they're eventually going to take a hit on.

5th: If I use Ford's website to "Build and Price"...the mustang comes out to $41,410. (GT/CS, 3.73's, glass roof, Electronics Pack, Security Pack) I've heard that some of you are GURU's with getting a dealer down on price. If I have like $5000 to put down on the car, how low do you think I could negotiate one to go down? I also have 3 independent Ford dealerships within about 30 minutes of me (Charlotte) so could I just go from one to the next and use them against each other? I want to be fair, but I also want the best deal I can get.

Thanks so much for your input guys! I can't wait to join in the Mustang owners club....I've been waiting for so long!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

0% financing is simply a special offer. It will not be a promotion running forever, so you can't just assume that promotion will be ran towards the end of the year, you need to jump on it as soon as possible. With that being said, your down payment has nothing to do with whether you get 0% APR, or even a lower rate for that matter.

Also, the dealership is getting paid the same amount of money. Therefore, they do not necessarily care about the amount you are putting down. If you try negotiating with the amount of down payment you put up front, they will blatantly say: "it doesn't matter to us, we are getting the same amount."

The 4th question you should call a Ford dealership to ask how the procedures are, and if custom orders are negotiable on the price. Also, they want that $500(not sure of the exact amount, just using that price for reference) in case you bail out, and do not want the car once it has reached the dealer. This is so they don't take a complete hit on the car.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:49 PM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I called the dealership today. This specific one requires that everything be set in stone before they order the car. (Price, Insurance, Down Payment, Taxes/Fees) They said that on the delivery date all you do is show up to inspect the car and then take off.

I didn't feel comfortable asking a sales rep if the price was negotiable or not as it seems to me he has no incentive to say yes.

I'm still wondering about is if the GT/CS will be around for a few years like it was last time. (2007-2009 I believe). Does anyone have any input on that?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 PM
2011CS
1st Gear Member

crystal ball anyone?

seriously, no idea on CS for 2012 and nobody can answer it honestly
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 AM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Haha, yeah, I've been looking online alot and haven't found anything. I was wondering if anyone that worked for Ford (FordEngineer) knew and was at liberty to tell.

2011CS, what options did you get with yours? Do you love it? Any downsides at all? Did you get the coupe or convertible? I hate the fabric top, but I love the idea of the vert.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoodlum54
..I didn't feel comfortable asking a sales rep if the price was negotiable or not as it seems to me he has no incentive to say yes...
You kids have a lot to learn. If I can't negotiate a price that's close to invoice (and that can mean just above or just below), there's no sale. I've bought over 8 new cars and never paid more than $1,000 over invoice. And even that one was painful. Most are AT or below invoice.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 AM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You kids have a lot to learn. If I can't negotiate a price that's close to invoice (and that can mean just above or just below), there's no sale. I've bought over 8 new cars and never paid more than $1,000 over invoice. And even that one was painful. Most are AT or below invoice.
Teach me your ways....

So even though it's a "Special Edition" and a "New 5.0" and it'll most likely have to be ordered...I can still get it within 1k of invoice? I just ask them for the invoice and offer them 1k above it? This is only my second purchase ever from a dealership, first new car. I'm only 22 and don't know much (and unlike most of my peers, I am willing to admit it). So seriously, any help you can give would be incredibly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

my 11 is on order, paid invoice minus any reabtes....just ask...if they say no go somewhere else, dont sound desperate.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 AM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin
my 11 is on order, paid invoice minus any reabtes....just ask...if they say no go somewhere else, dont sound desperate.
Hey man, thanks so much for the input. I really appreciate it. Did you ever price out your 2011 on the Ford Build and Price website? How did the invoice compare to that? Couple hundred dollars different, several thousand dollars different? I have no clue what the ballpark range for price difference between invoice and MSRP, so if anyone happens to know, that'd be awesome.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Dealers know that people are anxious, especially young buyers. Go in with the expectation that you won't pay much above invoice. Be cool, calm and sure of yourself. If they argue, stand your ground, repeat what you're willing to pay and be prepared to leave and go to another dealer. You WILL find one that'll work with you.

Quick Reply: Going to buy a GT/CS