Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcoa help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Bird1606
1st Gear Member

Andretti,

I was on the Shelby site today searching for a solution to my problem, but I'm not registered over there and have never posted (I only rarely go over there). I did see you on there and I have to say I love you car. I was really tempted to do my stripes with the delete at the front KR style like you did, and then put the old school F O R D letters up front like they did in the 60's instead of the SHELBY letters, but I decided to just stripe it.

Back on topic, they do look really cheap in all the pics, and I found some nice metal ones with the cobra logo from American Racing for cheaper, but after talking to the company selling them I found they won't fit. So I just pulled the trigger on a set of way overpriced plastic caps from latemodelrestoration.com, which had them for $99, the cheapest I could find. I threw in the shelby hood pins as well to save on shipping, so it's a little easier to swallow, but it is still disappointing.

I even called Alcoa proper today, and got bounced around from their wheel division (mostly dualie and heavy truck wheels, they have never heard of the Super Snake rims, and couldn't even find them in their system after I read them part numbers) to their "Special" division in Cleveland. The guy at Cleveland knew exactly what I was talking about, and I tried real hard to get him to sell me some of the chrome Alcoa logoed center caps that they have in all the promos, but he said that he couldn't sell them to me, and that they are only for the promo's, and I had to deal with Shelby. And therein lies the problem. You put "Shelby" on anything and the price triples. Pay to play I guess.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

the wheels are going to look great on your car!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bird1606
Andretti,

I was on the Shelby site today searching for a solution to my problem, but I'm not registered over there and have never posted (I only rarely go over there). I did see you on there and I have to say I love you car. I was really tempted to do my stripes with the delete at the front KR style like you did, and then put the old school F O R D letters up front like they did in the 60's instead of the SHELBY letters, but I decided to just stripe it.

Back on topic, they do look really cheap in all the pics, and I found some nice metal ones with the cobra logo from American Racing for cheaper, but after talking to the company selling them I found they won't fit. So I just pulled the trigger on a set of way overpriced plastic caps from latemodelrestoration.com, which had them for $99, the cheapest I could find. I threw in the shelby hood pins as well to save on shipping, so it's a little easier to swallow, but it is still disappointing.

I even called Alcoa proper today, and got bounced around from their wheel division (mostly dualie and heavy truck wheels, they have never heard of the Super Snake rims, and couldn't even find them in their system after I read them part numbers) to their "Special" division in Cleveland. The guy at Cleveland knew exactly what I was talking about, and I tried real hard to get him to sell me some of the chrome Alcoa logoed center caps that they have in all the promos, but he said that he couldn't sell them to me, and that they are only for the promo's, and I had to deal with Shelby. And therein lies the problem. You put "Shelby" on anything and the price triples. Pay to play I guess.
Bird thanks much for the compliments on my car. I did do alot of debating on the striping for a few weeks, but ultimately am really happy with my final choice. I sure think yours looks pretty awesome so far and the new wheels will really do it justice. Out of curiosity though, what wheels are you or do you have on your Alcoas? I went back and forth alot on mine initially, but did finally go with Hankooks and am really happy with them so far (I've really only put 40 or so miles on it since changing out to the new wheel/tire combo).

Please post some pics when its all done! I've no doubt it will look excellent.

Andretti