Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do tires go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I guess I don't understand why some here are so worried about OE tires off an '07 stored in plastic out of the elements and, as it seems, from the heat of the day. How many here with '05's thru '07's that have the OE tires where their cars sit outside with the tires exposed to heat and sunshine on a daily basis are as worried about THEIR tires? I'd be much more concerned about those OE tires than the ones stored indoors.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
I asked this question to my tire guy, whose family has owned a tire store for decades.
He said that modern, radial tires do NOT develop flat spots. As long as there's been proper air pressure, they'll be fine.
The flat spots thing is a left over from the days of bias-ply tires, which you do not use on modern Mustangs.
Well then your tire guy needs to find a new line of work because he is wrong. I have dealt with steering wheel shake from day one with this 2010 due to flat spots that develop after sitting for as little as 8 hours. Sitting overnight requires 5 miles to round out. Sitting for 5 days takes 20 miles or more before it settles down. This is the third set of these Pirelli tires I have had on this car since I purchased it and ALL of them have done it. The first set was flat spotted beyond repair, the 2nd set dry rotted after 6 months and still flat spotted within hours and this set flat spots just as easily. I've never seen anything like it.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
Well then your tire guy needs to find a new line of work because he is wrong. I have dealt with steering wheel shake from day one with this 2010 due to flat spots that develop after sitting for as little as 8 hours. Sitting overnight requires 5 miles to round out. Sitting for 5 days takes 20 miles or more before it settles down. This is the third set of these Pirelli tires I have had on this car since I purchased it and ALL of them have done it. The first set was flat spotted beyond repair, the 2nd set dry rotted after 6 months and still flat spotted within hours and this set flat spots just as easily. I've never seen anything like it.

Try a better brand of tire. I don't have much good to say about Pirelli. In my experience on this GT and with my mom's Explorer SportTrac they were some of the WORST tires I've ever seen. To me they're nothing more than an over priced fancy name pos. I know that if I ever buy another new car that has them, they'll be gone in a matter of weeks, if not sooner.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:16 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Try a better brand of tire. I don't have much good to say about Pirelli. In my experience on this GT and with my mom's Explorer SportTrac they were some of the WORST tires I've ever seen. To me they're nothing more than an over priced fancy name pos. I know that if I ever buy another new car that has them, they'll be gone in a matter of weeks, if not sooner.
It isn't just the Pirelli's. My BFG KDWS flatspot almost everyday while sitting on a slight incline in a parking lot. As another poster mentioned, after 5 miles or so, they correct because the steering wheel shake goes away. Worse in the winter. Interesting thing is, the original BFG KDWS that came with the car didn't do it. Someone told me it has to do with the type of material (nylon I believe) they use in the tire. BFG must have changed the composition slightly on the KDWS.

"The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by BFGoodrich’s ETEC (Equal Tension Containment System) spirally wound nylon to provide high-speed durability while minimizing weight and maximizing ride qualities".

Last edited by richmod; 06-11-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
Thats pretty strange. I've had mine sit for up to 4 days so far without an issue other than maybe a 1/2 mile and even then it's a very minor shimmy. I've got Toyo T1-R's.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by richmod
It isn't just the Pirelli's. My BFG KDWS flatspot almost everyday while sitting on a slight incline in a parking lot. As another poster mentioned, after 5 miles or so, they correct because the steering wheel shake goes away. Worse in the winter. Interesting thing is, the original BFG KDWS that came with the car didn't do it. Someone told me it has to do with the type of material (nylon I believe) they use in the tire. BFG must have changed the composition slightly on the KDWS.

"The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by BFGoodrich’s ETEC (Equal Tension Containment System) spirally wound nylon to provide high-speed durability while minimizing weight and maximizing ride qualities".
+1

My BFG KDWIIs also flat spot just as described above.
And they are 255 wide to boot...
Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Good to know richmod because I almost spent my own money on the KDWS' to replace these pos Pirellis. Ford replaced the first set and Pirelli replaced the 2nd set free of charge to me so I can guarantee that they will no longer entertain the idea of exchanging tires on this car at this point. Does anyone know of a tire for the 2010 19" wheels that don't flat spot so easily?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The KDWIIs are not that bad to avoid buying them.
My stang sits days at a time and it just takes a short
while for the lumpity lumpity to subside.
The stickyness is well worth any little lumpily lumpity
for about a 1/4 mile or so.
I have nearly 20K on this set and the next set will be KDWIIs
or NITTO NT05s. I dont like rock catching tread designs and
the wet weather performance is not my main need.
My KDWIIs are wearing straight across despite the massive
amounts of Gs they see on a regular basis. Just two rotations
under their belts.

Last edited by 157dB; 06-12-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

@ Nuke
Tires that sit outside in the weather/sun and aren't used don't get cycled/exercised. The rubber begins to break down and soon you get the dry rot and cracking.

tires on your car are cycled and undergo heat cycles. believe it or not, this extends their life. the cycles minimize the impact that weather/sun have on breaking down the rubber.
@ OP
I would grab those tires in a heartbeat. As long as they look nice and smooth and no cracks. Check the inside of the tread, that is a common place for dry-rot to hide.

hell, even if the tires are rotted, the rims are worth that much $$$

Pirelli tires are horrible. Wear bad, bad traction, ride funny, make my Expedition track strange and have tons of sidewall flex. I will never buy that brand of tires. They came OEM in a 275/55/20. I refuse to replace them though at a cost of $1,200-1,500 for better tires since they only have 10,000 miles. One day I'll get pissed enough to swap, but for now it doesn't make sense financially to spend the money on new tires to replace adequate tires
Old 06-12-2010, 12:45 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

interesting read.....heres my take

My KDW2s will have a small flat spot after maybe more than 24 hours sitting. BUT it only takes about 1/2 mile to 1 mile for i to go away. If its taking 20 miles to get rid of the shake then you got issues for sure

Quick Reply: do tires go bad?