Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering A 2011 Mustang V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

If you are even slightly concerned with performance, get the 3:31's. You will be happy you did.

And I agree with hoodlum on the HID's. No doubt they perform better than the standard lights but the car looks better w/o them IMO.

I don't have the EP because I don't like/need nav systems. But it's my understanding that this is a well-designed one so if this is a feature you could use I say go for it...it's only money!

BTW, when is Ford going to put the MyFord system in the Stang? That sounds like it would be worth the $$$.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
aliasmax

I have a 2010 mustang 4.0 sterling gray convertable with nav and backup camera. The pic on the nav screen when backing up is huge. With all the features on the nav and the camera to me its a no brainer. order the nav and camera.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoodlum54
Here are my 2 cents
Basically the higher the final drive ratio (2.73, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10) the higher your RPM's will be at the same speed in any given gear. This does a few things. 1st, it gives you harder launches (provided no wheel spin). 2nd, it gets you (and keeps you) in your powerband sooner and longer. 3rd, undesireably, it reduces your highway MPG. Some people report increasing city MPG with higher gears because they don't have to use as much gas to get up to speed. On the highway however, it's unavoidable that your RPM's will be higher and consequently you'll burn more fuel. Probably in the 1-2 MPG range.
Just wanted to correct one thing in the above where you say, "it gets you (and keeps you) in your power band sooner and longer."
That is partly correct but quite a bit incorrect too.
True it will get you into your power band sooner if you are starting at an rpm that's out of the power band to begin with, but if you start in the correct gear that puts you into the power band it won't get you into the power band any faster, since you are already IN the power band.
Next, it does NOT keep you in the power band longer. The lower the gears (higher number) the FASTER you will actually go through the power band and require an upshift.
That's also the drawback of guys who automatically think getting 4.10's or 4.56's or whatever means faster.
It may FEEL faster as you rip through the gears faster, but keep in mind, in many instances you are much better off being in 3rd at 6500 rpm with say 3.55's than you are in 3rd at 6800 rpm with 3.73's
The car with 3.55's will be at the power peak of 6400 while the 3.73 car is on the down swing of the power band as it nears redline. Furthermore, the 3.73 car will then need to shift sooner, dropping them back a bit just as the 3.55 car is surging ahead for those last 300 rpms before it has to shift.

Hence the reason I've said that 3.55 gears on the GT is a better drag race ratio than the 3.73's when on street tires, as you get through the 1/4 in 4th with no additional shift to 5th needed. That additional shift to 5th will cost more time and speed in the 1/4 than what the 3.55's will lose in acceleration when in gear.

3. The electronics package. 1st, it's not simply a garmin. It's a very, very advanced system with many unique to sync features. Is it neccesary, no. If you have the money for it, why not get it? If you saw the video of it's functionality and like what you saw, it's really up to you whether or not it's worth it. It's my understanding that SYNC 3.0 comes with audio turn by turn directions, so you don't really need the screen...maybe that's a deciding factor?
Yes, clearly the Electronics Package is just more than a NAV screen. But you are aware Sync is also standard on the non Electronic package car when the Premium Package is ordered, and further, Magallan's and Garmin's already have audio turn by turn directions and have for years. So if the current Ford NAV doesn't have that, that blows, and if Sync 3.0 is currently available and has it, they should of had it on Sync 1.0 when $139 plug in NAV systems have had it for several years already.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

I disliked the look of the HIDs so I skipped on those. I got the 3.31 its great, but I don't know what the 2.73 is like. The electronics package is too expensive for what you get, save the money, buy a nice gps, and go spend the rest on mods.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

never thought i'd see the day folks were cheering 3.31 gears... no one in the 2005-2010 crowd wants them at all... let alone 2.73?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Tnnrx7

Here are my 2 cents

1. HID headlights are VERY much worth it, however, I wouldn't get them from Ford. Why, you ask? It takes away the integrated turn signals - to me, an awesome heritage cue. Get the regular headlights from Ford, then just install HID's later. That way you get the retro turn signal look, but the performance of HID's. The security package is an active anti-theft device and *may* lower your insurance premiums. Ask your agent.

2. You really gotta decide what you want from this car. 31 mpg is very impressive indeed. (not sure how much you know, so I'm going to treat you as a newb. If this is below you, please don't take offense ) Basically the higher the final drive ratio (2.73, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10) the higher your RPM's will be at the same speed in any given gear. This does a few things. 1st, it gives you harder launches (provided no wheel spin). 2nd, it gets you (and keeps you) in your powerband sooner and longer. 3rd, undesireably, it reduces your highway MPG. Some people report increasing city MPG with higher gears because they don't have to use as much gas to get up to speed. On the highway however, it's unavoidable that your RPM's will be higher and consequently you'll burn more fuel. Probably in the 1-2 MPG range.

3. The electronics package. 1st, it's not simply a garmin. It's a very, very advanced system with many unique to sync features. Is it neccesary, no. If you have the money for it, why not get it? If you saw the video of it's functionality and like what you saw, it's really up to you whether or not it's worth it. It's my understanding that SYNC 3.0 comes with audio turn by turn directions, so you don't really need the screen...maybe that's a deciding factor?
1. Anyone have comparison pics of stock standard headlights and stock HIDs? I tried searching but came up empty. Also what's the most commonly used aftermarket HID kit? The security package would definitely lower my insurance rate so it pays for itself eventually, good point.

2. Great info. I think the added performance will offset the lowering of MPG and for less than $400 it's worth it.

3. Good points. I feel like the screen would make things more enjoyable and easier. Like I said I have an iPhone but the GPS isn't the greatest, plus it kills the battery and you have to be constantly unlocking the phone and holding it while trying to drive. Is this electronics system going to be the same as the 2010's? And do we get free updates when they come out?

Originally Posted by brycerichert
Dual zone... that's funny.... like the heat from the right won't go to the left.

Stripes... don't do it!
It's just a added perk to the other features the electronics package offers, not a make or break factor for me. As for the stripes, I like the look and it will set off some black rims nicely IMO. Don't get me wrong, normally I go for the "clean" look on my cars but something about them that I like.

Originally Posted by Nuke
As far as the gears, I'd pass on the car if I couldn't upgrade at least to the 3.31's. The change in fuel consumption will only be noticable mostly at engine speeds over 1800-2000 RPM. I concur that you'll see about a 1-2 MPG drop, if that much, providing you keep a light foot. The advertised fuel mileage is based on a very conservative driving style.
Thanks for the info, I'm definitely going to upgrade the gears.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Go to Ford's site and configure one. You don't "lose" the integrated turn signals like somebody said. They just get moved from the inner edge of the housing to the outer edge of the housing. But HID headlights are way worth it. I had my first taste of them back in '02 and haven't looked back since; even installed the Saleen ones on my '05 GT.

As was already said, the Electronics Package is a buttload more than just a fancy screen for SYNC. Everything's integrated in there and it's well worth the money spent. Don't worry about "something else to break later on." That's just old fogy speak from people who fear technology. People run their TV, Xbox, DVD/Blu-ray, etc. for hours on end on a daily basis. How often does it break down? <rolleyes on that one>
Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
never thought i'd see the day folks were cheering 3.31 gears... no one in the 2005-2010 crowd wants them at all... let alone 2.73?
the final gear ratio of the transmission is higher than on the 2010, so yes the 3.31 is a good option
Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up

There has never been a locker option for the v-6 cars, so that is a major leap forward.

I would suppose that the 3.31's with the 6 speed tranny make for a quick sled.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Taller gears = Fun

I bought my Mustang to have fun.

I bet you did too

Get the taller gears... it's a no-brainer

The other stuff is just icing on the cake.

A mustang is about the kick in the pants and sound... not about a backup camera.

Quick Reply: Ordering A 2011 Mustang V6