Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 - intermintent starting issues

Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Default '07 - intermintent starting issues

so i am at a loss here other then thinking its a relay issue.

mom has an '07 V6 vert as a sunny summer day toy. ever since they bought it new from the show room it has had an issue starting (literally the 1st full day of it being home)

they can drive it a few times then park it and come back to it 1min to 20 min later and it wont start and the engine doesnt even try to turn over as though the starter relay is never being triggered.

ive had a car in the past where the steering wheel position would interfere with it starting or even being able to pull the key out so i tried restarting it while pulling the wheel one way or the other but no luck.

the other day they went for a cruise, stopped at the river front and it wouldnt start. let it sit even longer still wouldnt. dad played with it for 30 minutes and still couldnt get it to even attempt to start.

called a flat bed, was pulled on the bed, driven 4 miles to their house, dropped off in the drive way and it started right up with no issue.

we are at a loss here and the dealership swears there is nothing wrong and has pretty much told my parents they are imagining it becuase they cant recreate it while at the dealership.

wondering if anyone else has had issues with this or could help point me & pops in th right direction for fixing this issue.

we talked of next time pulling the battery connection and plugging it back in and seeing if it does anything (reseting a relay etc).

any help is appreciated, i know i normally stick to the classic section but this has be confused

edit:

for clarification when you turn the key theres nothing. no click, no engine turning over, no sound of fuel pump kicking in (that i remember), it just sits there.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Doubt this is it, but....same thing happened last year on my high mileage 1999 Honda Accord. Problem was a bad relay under the dash. This particular relay turns on power to the fuel pump when they key is turned.

But in my case, the engine was turning over and acting like the car had no fuel (because the fuel pump was off).

Might still be a relay in your case. Sounds like the car isn't getting the key-no signal.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:00 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Sounds like it could be the starter solenoid. This same problem will happen when they get heat-soaked. A bad one, with poor wiring may be building up enough electrical resistance that when the normal amount of heat is applied, juice can't get through it. This would explain why if you let it sit awhile, it will start back up.

Oh I just noticed you aren't getting ANY engine power?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

OK guys sorry for the confusion but just talked mom and she said it DOES click and all accessory lights & radio work too when the key is turned.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65rangoon
OK guys sorry for the confusion but just talked mom and she said it DOES click and all accessory lights & radio work too when the key is turned.
Sounds like a starter solenoid is bad, or a power wire leading to the starter is up against something hot and is creating too much resistance.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

ill be back there over the 4th of july weekend and ill have to put it up on jacks and see.

not to sure my dad will be willing to crawl under it as the issue annoys the hell out of him since 'they bought it new and it doesnt even have 3k miles on it' haha