Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parents wont cosign for a loan on new Stang. Stuck with my old one.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:13 PM
onegoal
Banned

Default Parents wont cosign for a loan on new Stang. Stuck with my old one.

I'm in my 20s and live at home because Im going to college so I dont have any bills really except for my car payment which is 202$ a month. Ive been trying to save all my money so maybe a year from now I can buy a used 5.0 or the new Camaro.

Anyways my current mustang is a 2006 GT with 18,300 miles on it. I bought it used around Labor day 2008 for 19,500$. The warranty expired in April.

THey wont cosign on a loan with me anymore and they tell me to save my money up until I get out of school in a couple years and buy the car I want. Now Im stuck with a 4 year old Mustang that is inferior and slow compated to the new GT and Camaro speed wise and when its time to trade it in or sell it I wont get jack squat for the car. Super Chargers cost so much might as well use the cash for a downpayment.

Im stuck with a Mustang no one is going to want to buy.

What should I do?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

I can say a lot about this post, mainly about, do you REALLY need that extra power? You make it seem like you want a faster car just because you want to be the cool kid on the block, but that isn't any of my business.

What I will say, and most will agree, is that you will be dishing out around 15k to get the new Mustang or Camaro (give and take a couple grand). With HALF of that you can buy a supercharger kit, have it professionally installed, and dyno tuned, AND be the cool kid with the 4.6 that can beat the new 5.0.

That being said, I don't understand how a 6k supercharger kit is too much money, when you will be more than doubling that to get a new car, and the only reason you're getting it is because of the speed.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
HEMI LOL
1st Gear Member

i dont feel sorry for you. suck it up and take it like a man. finish school, get a job then buy toys. id like to congrs to your parents, they are doing a good job.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I think your parents are teaching you a valuable lesson. Cars are a crap investment. There will always be a new car coming out thats "better". Learn to love what you have. Get a blower and be happy. Besides, they arent under any obligation to cosign your loan. Maybe they think if you get a new car you wont move out as soon. lol.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Man, there's always going to be something faster, better, and newer than what you have. It's the reality of almost every piece of technology. You buy something and it's already obsolete. Take pride in what you have, many 20-year-olds would kill to be in your shoes.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:32 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Crash it then use the insurance money to get a 2011.

But seriously dude, chill out. Its not the end of the world, the 05-09 Mustangs are still pretty badass rides. Keep saving and building up your credit score. Once you get a job and living securely on your own, then go for it! Until then you can keep doing small things to the '06 to keep it fresh looking if you don't want to do anything performance wise to it.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:37 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

1. finish school
2. get a good job
3. move out
4. be happy you only have a $202 car payment, when real life bills hit you.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:39 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
THey wont cosign on a loan with me anymore and they tell me to save my money up until I get out of school in a couple years and buy the car I want.

What should I do?

Do what your smart parents are telling you. The LAST thing you need is an even bigger car loan (with higher insurance to boot) while you are still in school. You should be considering yourself one lucky sob as it is to have a GT of ANY year while in school, let alone an S197. I was lucky to have a base model 1995 V6 mustang when I went (from 2000-2004). It was actually my mom's anyway, she was just letting me use it for school since I was commuting and I was about 45min away from the school. Otherwise, I would have had to somehow pay for classes PLUS dorm costs and walk every where. That would have been much worse.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:43 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
Get a blower and be happy.

I'm going to have to advise against that I'm afraid. FI no matter how "safe the tune or boost level is, increases your chance of blowing greatly. It's a gamble and should not be done to your one and only car you depend on every day, especially if you can not afford a new engine and allowing the car to sit dead for weeks on end.

This is why mine does not have FI. I need another car as back up before I'd feel safe about doing it. Also I could buy a new engine if I needed, but of course do not want to! lol!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:43 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My 06 has 18k miles as well which is nothing. I could go pay cash for a new stang right now but I won't. Because my parents taught me the same lessen they are teaching you. Now @ 45 I am financially secure. Sure you want the new cool car, so earn it and life will be good to you. Be stoked with what you have now imo.

Quick Reply: Parents wont cosign for a loan on new Stang. Stuck with my old one.