Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate Pypes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:51 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

Odd, I just got a dual conversion kit from Pypes and everything fit exactly as planned... If you want to try a different set of mufflers I have Pypes Street Pro for sale in the classified, but who knows if they'll clear your axle either?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus

how does it sound?
No idea. The pipe diameter coming off the muffler that connects to the midpipe won't fit each other. Without a pipe expander, the install is impossible.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

"Are you being attacked by ninjas when measuring and cutting exhaust piping? What the hell is wrong with you?"
HAH HAH ~ thanks for the laugh!!!! =-)

On a separate note, I have the Pypes Streetpro Axleback and it fits fine. The hard part was taking the stock exhaust off!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I didn't get pypes for several reasons.
1. Fitment is based on luck
2. They are a cheap copy of Kooks
3. They have a gay logo lol
4. They don't have ceramic coating
5. Too many companies make better **** at a slightly higher price
6. BBK is more reliable

Lol how many more reasons can I give? I know installs are a crap shoot with anything and the OP is frustrated...poor guy
Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Ninja comment in its context.....funniest post I've ever read! Lmfao
Their long tubes fit great.....everything else, a crapshoot.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

i'm installing my bbk ceramic long tubes tomorrow with an o/r x...thank god the guy has a lift and pneumatic tools
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Alright, just got back from the exhaust shop. To simply install the Pypes Violators mufflers to the Pypes midpipe, it took the following. 1) Flaring out both mufflers where the pipe meets the midpipe because the build quality is terrible. 2) Rerouting the emission vacuum line looking things so they wouldn't lay on the poorly shaped midpipe. 3) Jamming a giant pipe down the inside of the muffer and have a redneck lean into it to center it, while a second redneck applies heat to the muffler hanger. 4) Reshaping the rear muffler hanger. Here's a view I'm sure most Pypes customers are used to. The point when Mr. Pypes Rubik's cube of pipe defeats you and you have to go to a shop.

All of this labor cost me $70. The mufflers sound terrible. It sounds pretty much like stock but with a horrible drone over it. Running through the gears, the tone doesn't change, the horrible humming sound just grows in volume, pitch never changing. It sounds absolutely horrible. I'm surprised people don't run out of their houses with trash bags thinking I'm the garbage truck when they hear me coming. The drone is so bad, I want those ninjas that attacked Mr. Pypes in his workshop to throw a ninja star at my neck and set me free.

When I talk about sound, which is subjective, I'm comparing it to previous exhaust setups I've had. I've had stock, stock with gutted mufflers, no mufflers, Boomtubes, and the current stuff. The BEST sounding and fitting exhaust is stock. The Boomtubes are a close second. They had character, they would pop and snarl, sounded fantastic at WOT, but droned horribly. Violators are the absolute worst. No mufflers is better.

Guess I just have to wait to find some stock midpipes and I'll buy some GTA's or GTB's.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

since you had rednecks work on your Mustang, you coulda saved some money and paid them in moonshine.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

dont know why yours is messed up..Personaly I think my violators sound great..I dont get any of the droan you are getting. Its nice and quiet and calm sounding when cruising and can barely hear it..but when i hit the gas it sounds mean and really good. maybe the midpipes are causing the sound issue not the violators
Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
since you had rednecks work on your Mustang, you coulda saved some money and paid them in moonshine.
Although they're rednecks, they're quite good at muffler work. I've used them 3-4 times prior. I don't understand a word they're saying, but I just point at the mufflers, smile and nod. In response, they light a cigarette and get to work.
Originally Posted by 05xrunner
dont know why yours is messed up..Personaly I think my violators sound great..I dont get any of the droan you are getting. Its nice and quiet and calm sounding when cruising and can barely hear it..but when i hit the gas it sounds mean and really good. maybe the midpipes are causing the sound issue not the violators
The Pypes midpipe is the same part that comes with the "cat-back" versions of their mufflers. The are no resonators or mufflers in either the stock or "Pypes" midpipe. When I was running the Pypes midpipe with the stock mufflers, it was as quiet as a totally stock exhaust.

Quick Reply: I hate Pypes