Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate Pypes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I had some pypes muffler deletes and they didn't fit either. I had to get a bracket welded on and new housings. Ended up taking them off a few years later. Sounded nice though, fitment sucks. The 08+ GTs need a different type of bracket I heard later on..
Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I had some pypes muffler deletes and they didn't fit either. I had to get a bracket welded on and new housings. Ended up taking them off a few years later. Sounded nice though, fitment sucks. The 08+ GTs need a different type of bracket I heard later on..
I've got the proper "Pypes" brackets as well.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Hey you are not alone, I had lots of trouble with my Bassani X-pipe, fitment completely sucked. But this thread is pure win, the original post had me laughing pretty good.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Redfire_07
2nd Gear Member

Im glad i had mine done custom at an exhaust shop, I thought about buying a set from pypes
Old 06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
No idea. The pipe diameter coming off the muffler that connects to the midpipe won't fit each other. Without a pipe expander, the install is impossible.
That might be because the violators have been installed before and clamped down - I noticed this same issue with my flowmasters after taking them off a few times.

I have a Pypes X and it is fine but I had to have the 2 front connections welded because it would leak with the clamps only.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by wasvette
That might be because the violators have been installed before and clamped down - I noticed this same issue with my flowmasters after taking them off a few times.

I have a Pypes X and it is fine but I had to have the 2 front connections welded because it would leak with the clamps only.

How did you notice the leak?
What made it different when you first saw liquid than ... just thinking it was the AC condensing?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
How did you notice the leak?
What made it different when you first saw liquid than ... just thinking it was the AC condensing?
You'll see little black licks near the clamps. Even stock Mustang exhausts have small leaks due to the bad Ford design of the clamps.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Put on the Pypes/NTO dual conversion kit a couple of weeks ago. Only problem I noticed was the 2 midpipes were labeled *ss backwards. I'd say I have about average mechanical ability, but mine turned out great. Did it in my garage with the car on jack stands. Had to make sure the rear axle was hanging down enough to get the old and new midpipes over the axle okay. Took my time, double and triple checked all the clearances. Once I got everything lined up right, it was a perfect fit, and I think the rag top has extra sub-frame junk to work around. Fine tuned the muffler placement by bending the "L" hangers slightly so they line up right. Yea, it's pretty quite which is okay for the rag top, and the GT mufflers are stock.....DUH. Go to my user profile, I did a pretty long write up and a couple of pictures of how it looks. Maybe taking my time helped, or as some of you have pointed out, maybe I just got lucky.....
Old 06-30-2010, 04:14 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

wow, cant belive you have so many problems. When you say pypes midpipe, do you mean the x / h or the section that is the cat back. Usualy the midpipe is the x or h, but Pypes sells a mid muffler setup, that confuses the nomenclature. Just trying to figure out where eactly your problem was.

As for the rubbing on your body on the axle backs, that is usualy a easy fix by lostening the x pipe to tail section clamp, and rotating the tube away from the body.

For your system sounding horrible, all I can say is I have been on violators for two years and have had no issues, actualy I like them alot. I am running with BBK long tubes and catted X, factory tail section to my Violators. The only problem I have with any of it is the driver side clamp loseing, but just gonna replace it with a better clamp.

hopefully you can get yours straigtened out, this is with cams too, but they didnt sound bad before the cams either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne9CC...eature=related
Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I was going to tell you to bring it to an exhaust shop and have them fix it but I see you did that and now it fits perfectly but you hate the sound lol. Can't win em' all I guess.

My mid-mufflers had all kind of fit issues too so I had a shop weld new brackets in the 'correct' places. Didn't cost near $70, think I paid about 30 bucks to have it done.

Quick Reply: I hate Pypes