Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a stock tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Default Need a stock tune

I recently posted about how I was unable to pass NY inspection with a tune (even an "emissions friendly" one). The sensors post not ready to the machine that reads the OBDII. I have decided the easiest thing to do will be to reload the stock tune and put on the stock airbox every year (PIA!). However, I did something dumb when I loaded my last tune, I believe I accidentally wiped out the stock tune on my SCT2. All that show up are my aftermarket tunes.

Does anyone know how I do this without a trip to the Ford garage?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Ray
I recently posted about how I was unable to pass NY inspection with a tune (even an "emissions friendly" one). The sensors post not ready to the machine that reads the OBDII. I have decided the easiest thing to do will be to reload the stock tune and put on the stock airbox every year (PIA!). However, I did something dumb when I loaded my last tune, I believe I accidentally wiped out the stock tune on my SCT2. All that show up are my aftermarket tunes.

Does anyone know how I do this without a trip to the Ford garage?
One question comes to mind. How many miles/warm up cycles did you put on the car after installing your emission tune? You may not have had driven it enough for the computer to report ready. The fix is that was the problem is to drive the car for a week then take it in for a retest. BTW, the SCT can report the condition of the sensors for you if you ask it to. No need to pay the smog shop for another not ready condition.

I have a back up copy of my 2008 GT Manual transmission factory tune mapping. If you have a GT Manual with 3.31s and the same strategy code on your computer, it most likely would work. Although I got it through an SCT-X3 device. If that makes a difference.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I am thinking that I must have deleted the stock tune through the live load program. If so, it might be in my recycle bin on my home computer. I will look there.

Thanks for the offer of the stock tune, but I have an auto. I may take the car back to see if the sensors are ready. How do you get the SCT to tell you if the sensors are ready?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Ray
I am thinking that I must have deleted the stock tune through the live load program. If so, it might be in my recycle bin on my home computer. I will look there.

Thanks for the offer of the stock tune, but I have an auto. I may take the car back to see if the sensors are ready. How do you get the SCT to tell you if the sensors are ready?
I kind of remember it was in the part where you get your cars info or its trouble codes. It was not in the tune section of the program though. I remember it telling me that my rear O2s were not ready as the result of the tune I had installed.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Could you talk to whoever wrote your tune and have them send over a stock one?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Mpov
1st Gear Member

Who did your tune? Did you try contacting them to tell them that you failed? Maybe they can write you one that doesn't.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Ok, turns out this was a dumb mistake on my part. When I went out to reload my stock tune, I only saw the Brenspeed and VMP tunes loaded on the SCT (I even plugged it into the computer and only those two showed up). However, when I pressed the "up" button on the tuner, it came up with the message "Return to Stock", which I did, and I now have the stock tune reloaded on my car. I will drive it a few miles and then have it inspected. By the way, Brenspeed was more than patient with me, and I was happy with their tune.

Does anyone know why the tuners cannot make a tune that will pass New York's inspection? None of my sensors were ready, and I drove the car several hundred miles. I read a thread by Dave Bama that said that tuners turn off the diagnostic tests and sensors to get the PCM to be more responsive. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Any reputable Tuner should be able to write an emissions test tune for you. Tell them you just want a stock tune with the only revision being for the CAI to use for emissions test.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

You don't want just a stock tune modified for a CAI, believe me! My car is now like a dog that has been neutered. The shift points are different (auto tranny), squishy shifts instead of firm, much less get-up-and-go.