Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 6-speed trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Kvothe

So heres an update on my car... Ford wanted all the fluids in the tranny replaced and the service manager said it will do absoluetly nothing. So he wants me to bring in the car friday and they are going to "rip apart the transmission". This is ridiculous. So i emailed Ford Mo. to see what they have to say. Now my dashboard is squeaking like crazy. I dont understand how a car 1 month old can have ANY problems at all. I said i wish they would just take the car back or something..
Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

KVo,

I had the same issues with my 2006 V6 mustang 5 speed. Same issues. My problem was the driveshaft and then the transmission. Dealer replaced a new tranny and new clutch but later down the road it was still clunking. Especially when it was cold outside and you just start the car and take off. It never fully went away. I just don't think ford has figured out the tranny
Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

kvo, they won't take it back unless you lawyer up and force them. I went round and round with the dealer over the steering wheel shake of my 2010 and they kept saying the car drove fine and that there was no issue. Have been thru 3 sets of tires now at no cost to me and still the shaking persists. Some days worse than others and some days not at all. In the end I decided that the problem isn't bad enough for me to pursue them legally. I wish you luck getting any cooperation from these guys outside of the legal option, assuming they can't find the problem and fix it outright.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 AM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

Oh, and Kvo, look up the lemon law. If they try to repair it more than once (depending on the state), and don't fix it, you can return the vehicle or exchange for a new one. It works. Peruse it before it's too late. It was too late to me so I had to sue Ford. I had a decent outcome but I'm just one of many. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kvothe
So heres an update on my car... Ford wanted all the fluids in the tranny replaced and the service manager said it will do absoluetly nothing. So he wants me to bring in the car friday and they are going to "rip apart the transmission". This is ridiculous. So i emailed Ford Mo. to see what they have to say. Now my dashboard is squeaking like crazy. I dont understand how a car 1 month old can have ANY problems at all. I said i wish they would just take the car back or something..

I say your in decent hands at least. I mean, the service manager said screw what ford said to do, hes not wasting your time by changing fluids and sending you away, like Ford Mo Co wanted, hes tearing your transmission apart and seeing what needs to be rebuilt. If the problem keeps up, eventually they will send a Ford engineer out to take a look at it. Though when the same thing happened to my moms 09 bullitt, the service manager argued with the Ford engineer, until eventually the engineer quit, and the shop shipped in a brand new transmission and replaced it. The sad part is they wouldn't let her test drive the "specialty vehicle" and she knew it was the transmission on the way home.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Kvothe

thanks for all the help, i appreciate the feedback on this. Just really thought Ford had their crap together lately. Gonna have to goto a BMW when this is done haha
Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 AM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

A little off topic, but I remember from rebuilding gearboxes many years ago, that it made a huge difference to the way it shifted, by hand lapping-in the synchro rings & cones. This was done with fine valve grinding compound (lapping paste), right on the mainshaft, then everything taken apart again, cleaned, and carefully put back together. Without lapping, you had to let the synchro rings "wear in", and shift carefully while it was fresh. After lapping though, they shifted smoothly as can be. Big difference.

I'm sure your dealer is doing the right thing by tearing down and going through your gearbox. Should be better than new, and shifting smoothly when finished.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
opiwan
1st Gear Member

Man, I really like the dirrection Ford is going latley and I hope they can solve all these issues. I am hoping its the new model quirks and they can figure it out fast.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
A little off topic, but I remember from rebuilding gearboxes many years ago, that it made a huge difference to the way it shifted, by hand lapping-in the synchro rings & cones. This was done with fine valve grinding compound (lapping paste), right on the mainshaft, then everything taken apart again, cleaned, and carefully put back together. Without lapping, you had to let the synchro rings "wear in", and shift carefully while it was fresh. After lapping though, they shifted smoothly as can be. Big difference.

I'm sure your dealer is doing the right thing by tearing down and going through your gearbox. Should be better than new, and shifting smoothly when finished.
+1, I agree. I'm sure they are going to do their best.

Originally Posted by opiwan
Man, I really like the dirrection Ford is going latley and I hope they can solve all these issues. I am hoping its the new model quirks and they can figure it out fast.
+1, I love the Direction Ford has been going. Ever since they got the new CEO things have been going great.

Don't need to be so hateful, these are minor problems... At least your not driving through walls and houses like Toyota's cars because you can't stop...
Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 PM
cpekz

I've also noticed the trans making a clunk when I let out the clutch in neutral, I figured it was normal since it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I haven't experienced grinding or anything like that. This thread kind of has me worried a little bit.

Quick Reply: 2011 6-speed trans issues