Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT re-pinning information

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:41 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Default IMPORTANT re-pinning information

This is for anyone that ever needs to re-pin a connector. Mostly supercharged guys, especially E-Force guys need to do this.

I just solved a problem that had my pulling my hair out for months. The issue was a bad connector that became bad because of my attempts at learning how to re-pin a connector.

The connector worked mostly, but every 2-6 weeks the connection would become weak, causing intermittent problems. In my case the connector was for my throttle body motor and I was experiencing all sorts of weird #(*$%& because of it.

Step 1, lift the wedge lock with a small pick or angled pick like so.

Below is step 2. Here is where I screwed up. De-pin the connector by pushing a very small pick into the space I circled in yellow. Push down and wiggle the pick around while you gently pull the wire out. If it doesn't EASILY come right out, you are doing it wrong. Do not force anything.

DO NOT put the pick into the female metal contacts where a male pin mates to this connector. This is what I did until I found the right way to de-pin these. If you make my mistake, this happens (excuse my MS Paint artwork):

This is a picture of what's inside that connector. The female end has a ramp inside of it. The ramp is designed to pinch the male pin that sticks in there. This this makes a solid electrical connection.

If you go sticking a pick in there, you can push down the ramp so that it doesn't make a very good connection. You could end up with intermittent problems like me where it works most of the time and sometimes does not work.

So I fixed this buy raising that ramp back. On each side the this female rectangle-shaped contact is a little window where you can see the sides of the ramp. I put a tiny pick through each window and raised the ramp. Then it made a tight connection.

Longer story - I used an ohm-meter before and after this fix and verified the connection is solid. Before the fix, I could wiggle the wires and watch impedance move all over the place. After the fix, wiggle, and the impedance stays where it should be in this case.

Last edited by shanec; 07-30-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

very good stuff shanec, thanks for taking the time to share it. electrical gremlins
can be a real problem if you don't think about how connections are made and what can go wrong with them over time.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:27 PM
f4ifrank
2nd Gear Member

No problems yet but that connector is a PIA!!