Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is you GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:10 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default Where is you GPS?

I guess alot of use have GPS in our cars, but I just recently got one, so where do you all have them mounted in your car? I used my father's once with the weighted sandbag thing that sits on the dash, but even when my car was stock, it made the bag slide off the dash.

I saw a member on here once that had a GPS device attached to his air vent to the right of the steering wheel. Anyone know who that member is? I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine, but on the left side. I will be sacrificing one of the stock vents to make this work, but I plan on replacing all the vents anyways because 2 of them are broken. Will take pictures of what I do...

Want these vents, but expensive stuff!
http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=ACR17

Last edited by baddog671; 08-06-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
I guess alot of use have GPS in our cars, but I just recently got one, so where do you all have them mounted in your car? I used my father's once with the weighted sandbag thing that sits on the dash, but even when my car was stock, it made the bag slide off the dash.

I saw a member on here once that had a GPS device attached to his air vent to the right of the steering wheel. Anyone know who that member is? I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine, but on the left side. I will be sacrificing one of the stock vents to make this work, but I plan on replacing all the vents anyways because 2 of them are broken. Will take pictures of what I do...

I think Discodave has the one you are referring to but it wasn't in the vent its in the electric outlet (cigarette lighter)

Mine when in use is with the suction cup attached to the window, down low center of the dashboard
Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

mine is always in the hands of my co pilot, so that i can blame her if i made a wrong turn....
Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

mine came with the double din reciever i just installed in my car. very nice since there is no need of a clumsy gps unit hanging from my windshield
Old 08-06-2010, 10:39 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671

Here ya go...https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ml#post6955073
Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

In my dash with the rest of the Electronics package.

My Passport 9500 takes up the windshield, so I bought a car with the factory setup.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
the quote in your siq is funny.. when ever i need a laugh i'll read that sometimes. If your a s197 member those guys are funny and imature. well some not all but some of the things they say to each other are hilarious. very rude and crude
Old 08-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I've got a Garmin unit that came with a smooth plastic base with double sided tape that you attach the suction mount to. I put it on the panel between the center vents. Of course, now I have a shiny black disc there, but it doesn't bother me. I'm easy like that.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I have mine on the bottom of the windshield, in the center. It's starting to annoy me there since it limits visibility a little
Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 AM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

I've thought about using the regular bracket with the mounting plate stuck between the air vents, but I don't like having the shiny plastic disc permanently on the dash. I found an elbow mount that sticks directly into the lighter socket. The one I'm using is made by Arkon. I think I ordered it from Amazon. The location of our lighter socket is perfect for this mount.

Good points: The GPS unit sits right in front of the radio, providing excellent visibility. It's in easy reach of my right hand. When I want to hide it, it's easy just to pull the whole GPS/bracket assembly out and stick it behind the front seat. There are no suction cup marks on the windshield or tell-tale bracket to alert a thief.

Bad points. The bracket is held in place by the friction of your light socket. This won't work if you have a loose socket. You need to stick it in so that the bend is 90% vertical, or over time it will work it's way to one side. A big bump in the road will jar loose the contact, and I have to push it back in. This location does make it harder to see the radio text, and the cords hang down in front of the radio controls.

So, there are some limitations but on the whole I think it's a good solution for our Mustangs. Most cars have their lighter sockets in the wrong place to use this. Until I get a built-in GPS unit, I can live with the ratio of good/bad.
Attached Thumbnails Where is you GPS?-41vgx8ftjsl._sl500_aa300_.jpg  

Last edited by atldave; 08-07-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Where is you GPS?