Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Mustang GT is better to buy? 05, 06, 07, 08, or 09?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The '05 & '06's had a few issues which Ford began to resolve beginning '07 but you'll find some problems here and there on the later models. Read thru the TSB's in the stickies and you'll get an idea. If the prior owner(s) wasn't a forum member, good chances are that the issues were not taken care of. Regardless, any year of the S197 was a good year. And the GT/CS is just a visual package as far as I'm aware.

And the MP3 jack in the center console began in the '07 model.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 AM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
My vote would go for the 07-08's. Ford fixed the spark plug problems of the 05-06 and doesn't have the CMCV's permanently attached to the manifold that the 09's have. We do get to deal with the TPMS bullcrap that the 05's didn't have to, but that's about it.
Okay thanks man but I have another question. What is a CMCV and a TPMS?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Miller2
1st Gear Member

Shoot me a message if you are still in the market. I have an 06 for sale that you may want to look at.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

CMCV = Charge Motion Control Valve. You can buy CMCV Delete Plates. The factory plates have an electric motor which controls a butterfly valve. The CMCV Delete Plates remove the electric motor and do not have butterflies. So in turn they flow better. However, many claim a low end torque loss with the delete plates. Figure a top end gain of about 5-7 RWHP or thereabouts.

TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The Stangs began including factory TPMS which is comprised of a sensor mounted inside the wheel via a band kit. If you remove these from the car (with aftermarket wheels), the TPMS light will be on requiring the user to hit the reset button after every engine start. Most people install the OE sensors in their aftermarket wheels.

Last edited by Nuke; 08-23-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:39 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
CMCV = Charge Motion Control Valve. You can buy CMCV Delete Plates. The factory plates have an electric motor which controls a butterfly valve. The CMCV Delete Plates remove the electric motor and do not have butterflies. So in turn they flow better. However, many claim a low end torque loss with the delete plates. Figure a top end gain of about 5-7 RWHP or thereabouts.

TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The Stangs began including factory TPMS which is comprised of a sensor mounted inside the wheel via a band kit. If you remove these from the car (with aftermarket wheels), the TPMS light will be on requiring the user to hit the reset button after every engine start. Most people install the OE sensors in their aftermarket wheels.
Which started in 2007 I believe.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Correct. TPMS became standard OE on the S197 in 2007.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

The '05 & '06's had a few issues which Ford began to resolve beginning '07 but you'll find some problems here and there on the later models. Read thru the TSB's in the stickies and you'll get an idea. If the prior owner(s) wasn't a forum member, good chances are that the issues were not taken care of. Regardless, any year of the S197 was a good year. And the GT/CS is just a visual package as far as I'm aware.

And the MP3 jack in the center console began in the '07 model.
^^This... I bought an 05 convertible that happened to be one of the very early build dates and had every issue but the water leak that a TSB could cover and the previous owner had not one of them fixed. Just be sure there are no obvious issues and any ford dealer shoudl be able to tell by the vin if the TSB's were done on the car.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 AM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Oh alright thanks so much man, you've really been a great help! I appreciate it! Hey, what do you think. Do you think a Mustang GT would be a great first car? I'm only looking at the manual ones too! Would never drive such a machine in auto!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 AM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
^^This... I bought an 05 convertible that happened to be one of the very early build dates and had every issue but the water leak that a TSB could cover and the previous owner had not one of them fixed. Just be sure there are no obvious issues and any ford dealer shoudl be able to tell by the vin if the TSB's were done on the car.
Aha alright I'll stay away from the 05-06 models. And I love your car man! manual?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Honestly I'd steer clear of the old cylinder heads. Get the new ones that don't have the plug problem the old ones did. Peace of mind and then you don't have to spend another $100 on spark plugs or screw around with the TSB. Plus if you get a car with the old heads and miles on it you may have a time bomb on your hand with those plugs if the previous owner(s) never did the TSB...

Quick Reply: Which Mustang GT is better to buy? 05, 06, 07, 08, or 09?