Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

juice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:31 AM
LinkWilliams
1st Gear Member

Default juice

Sorry for all the posts but I'm pretty excited about making this Stang fast!!! So here is my next question and its for the Nos users... http://www.americanmuscle.com/zex-mu...s-2005-gt.html is the system i am thinking of getting but i just have one question...... I have a stick shift and i really dont want NOS to be coming on in 1st or even second gear as I already spin the crap out of my tires without Nos.. Has anyone put this system on their stickshift car and if so, how did you keep Nos from coming on in low gears ?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 AM
brewcity
2nd Gear Member

This is what you will needhttp://www.brenspeed.com/82085.html. But then again i maybe wrong because I have an auto and im not too sure this will work on a manual?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 AM
JimC

Just a quick note - referring to a nitrous system as "NOS" is a ricer thing. You are looking at a Zex nitrous kit (or N20), NOS is a trade name just like Zex. Don't want you to sound like the fast and furious type.

A window switch will work on a manual car. What it does is keep your Zex nitrous management unit from firing too low by blocking any signal to the NMU until your preset RPM's are reached. Although the system is designed not to fire unless you are at wide open throttle, it will read WOT pretty low sometimes (before I had my window switch when I was running nitrous I was at the starting line with the system armed, brought the RPM's up to 1800 and the NMU read me at WOT and fired off). The window switch will block the signal from the NMU so you don't get that happening.

The Zex window switch also allows you to set it so that it won't send the signal until it sees your RPM window open twice (maybe three times, I can't remember all that you can do now) so if you don't want it to spray until second or third, you set the parameter and it holds the signal until your desired number of times to that RPM are reached after arming the system.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
LinkWilliams
1st Gear Member

OH boy I dont want to sound like a ricer !!! Thanks for that lol and the window switch is exactly what im looking for, I think. What kind of numbers did you put down in a 1/4 mile Jim? with and without N2o
Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Just a quick note - referring to a nitrous system as "NOS" is a ricer thing. You are looking at a Zex nitrous kit (or N20), NOS is a trade name just like Zex. Don't want you to sound like the fast and furious type.
Thanks for pointing that out, you saved me the trouble. I hate the whole Nawws/NOS Fast and Furious thing.

NOS = Nitrous Oxide Systems, a division of Holley.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

If your going to be running street tires then I would suggest looking into a progressive controller rather than the basic window switch. Otherwise your wasting money on a system that your barely taking advantage of. The ZEX system uses their solenoid management controller which won't work with anything but a basic window switch AFAIK so I would go with another kit.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by LinkWilliams
OH boy I dont want to sound like a ricer !!! Thanks for that lol and the window switch is exactly what im looking for, I think. What kind of numbers did you put down in a 1/4 mile Jim? with and without N2o

When I get home tonight I'll check my old spreadsheets. As I recall the best on nitrous was a 13.6, before that I was running mid or low 14's on a CAI and tune. I was running wiht a 75 shot, which is the most my tuner recommended at the time. Nitrous was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed it and the video I had of my car was interesting - nice launch and then you can see the nitrous hit before finishing the 60' and the front end lifted again!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:47 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Misbehavin
Thanks for pointing that out, you saved me the trouble. I hate the whole Nawws/NOS Fast and Furious thing.

NOS = Nitrous Oxide Systems, a division of Holley.

+1, FML.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

sorry if I missed your earlier posts, but that looks like a pretty sweet car. Doesn't look like a Drag only car by any means either though. Just wondering, have you considered the benefits of ALWAYS having the horsepower of like a CAI and tune, vs having a bottle you have to pay to refill the whole time you own it? I mean, if you already have suspension, tires, and the basic bolt - ons and tune going, N20 is a great way to get some good pulls with out going all in for a blower / turbo. But if your on mostly stock suspension and tires, your paying a lot of money to be able to spin your tires. Of even in a drag scenario, a car with a $600 nitrous system vs a car with $600 in sticker tires, or better rear suspension items, will probably come pretty close in times, but the guy without N20 isnt loosing any performance on the way home. Good luck though

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-07-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

I ran the Zex Nitrous kit with a 100 shot on my 05. I had UPR upper and lower control arms and Mickey Thompson ET streets, I ran a 12.9 at 107mph. The ET street were very sticky and the car had 40,000 miles on it and I blew the stock clutch after 6 passes and I that was enough for me.

Last edited by smythge; 09-07-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: juice