Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another problem......

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vixr
grasping at straws here, maybe the tire has some sort of failure. Move it to the back and see if the thump follows the tire?
Very good idea, that's what i was thinking.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I would venture to say it is a tire issue too. Especially since you have done all of these other things such as verify your tires are in balance, replaced your lugs, etc.

To experiment, rotate your tires. If the mother-thumping persists, but the sound now originates to where you moved the offending tire to, but no vibrations, then it is the tire that is faulty.

If it is a bad tire form the factory, I would look up the tire warranty info and see if you can warranty that bastard.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

not to sound like i am insulting your inteligence, just want to ask, how did you do your lug nuts? Did you jack the wheel fully off the ground and get them as tight as you could while you were in the air, then lower it and torque them on the ground? Sorry, it just really sounds like a loose lug nut issue.

Failing that, as others have said, rotate the tire around or use your spare, see if it goes away. Or bring it to a shop and have them throw the suspeceted tire on a balance? Also judging by your screen name, are you in the service? If you are see if your base has a auto hobby shop, if you do you can check the balance of the rim with mounted tire right there.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
not to sound like i am insulting your inteligence, just want to ask, how did you do your lug nuts? Did you jack the wheel fully off the ground and get them as tight as you could while you were in the air, then lower it and torque them on the ground? Sorry, it just really sounds like a loose lug nut issue.

Failing that, as others have said, rotate the tire around or use your spare, see if it goes away. Or bring it to a shop and have them throw the suspeceted tire on a balance? Also judging by your screen name, are you in the service? If you are see if your base has a auto hobby shop, if you do you can check the balance of the rim with mounted tire right there.
lol what about my screen name suggests im in the service? im just a regular joe.

when i put my wheel back on i tighten the lug nuts while the car is still jacked up, then i lower the car and torque the lug nuts again. i never thought it could be a tire issue since it stops immediately when i begin braking (or maybe just quiets down) but i will rotate them just to make sure.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:00 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

wow, thats what i get for only spending 10 seconds reviewing a post >.< lol. Between the blue car and what I though was chief instead of chef, i somehow assumed you were in the navy? just ignore all that, i'm way too tired....
Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Well, you are not incorrect in mistaking "chef" for "chief."
"Chef" is French, and it exactly means "chief." This bit of trivia does support your thought.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

well, i rotated my tires and the noise is still coming from the passenger front.

strange thing is i noticed while taking the wheels off there are some high spots on my passenger front where if i spin the while while in the air it it will catch and stop on 1 little section on the rotor. i find it weird because i get no feedback through the steering wheel. this may be something that i have to wait out and just replace my rotors at the end of their life cycle.

on a side note, because ive been taking that wheel off so much recently the paint is starting to chip in the little lugnut holes of the wheels > the wheels are only 4 months old
Old 09-25-2010, 07:29 AM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

IIRC, you installed the Baer system and since the noise isn't present when the brakes are applied, perhaps a component of the mounting hardware has worked loose. Certainly something I would check.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:22 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef

on a side note, because ive been taking that wheel off so much recently the paint is starting to chip in the little lugnut holes of the wheels > the wheels are only 4 months old
They sell plastic coated sockets just for lug nut removal thru Jegs.
Have your checked your torque wrench lately for proper calibration?
And a star pattern when torquing the lugs.
And torque them in stages like 35 lbs in a star pattern and then 50 lbs
and then 75 lbs and finally the final torque in a star pattern as well.
Put a dial indicator on a magnetic base and check the rotors for trueness
as per the factory allowable runout specs?
Are you using any kind of lube or anti-seeze on the wheel studs?
OEM or Aftermarket wheels?
Sometimes the rotor clip(s) will fork with you on Aftermarkets
^^(4 months old)^^.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

as it turns out the problem was with the brake pads, they are slightly deformed and don't fit securely in the caliper. so whenever an otherwise undetectable discrepancy in the rotor surface went between the pads it cause the pad to "clatter". i created a new thread in the handling section as to what type and where i should purchase the new pads