Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few question about the 11 mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Default A few question about the 11 mustang GT

I'm planning on getting a new car for for 2011. I first started looking at the G37 coupe but decided I'd rather go with the 2011 mustang GT since they redesigned it so well. MPG is up, engine is more powerful, and interior is better. So I was wondering are there any known problems with the mustang? Also, on the "build your own" on the mustang site it allows you go choose between different differentials ratios, like rear ratio or something what is this? and which is the best one? How is the pull on this car? like what exactly happens does your head fly back into the head rest and your back sinks into the seat? Is the glass roof worth getting and does it open? thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2010, 10:56 PM
onegoal
Banned

I would go with the 3:73 gear ratio option. IMO I'd have it replaced with 4:10 but that is not a factory option would have to have the dealer install it.

I have not seen anyone mention 4:10s much in regards to the new stang. I think 4:10 on the 2011 0-60 times would be a beast!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 PM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

From the sounds of things, your pretty new to cars eh? Well, Yes it pulls hard, itll put you and your passangers back in your seat, it'll smoke the rear meats like a hippy on a joint, it'll take you from 0-no liscence in under 5 seconds, and it gets decent MPG also, even driven hard ( I can attest to that ) No the glass roof doesnt open, its just a see through roof, its cool, but not for me. Im a fan of a lot of different cars, and I was on my way to buy a Camaro SS, I had the paper work ready to sign, and decided to go look at the new GT. Once I was in the car, I said **** the camaro, this thing rocks. Its a very well built car, and they have been for some time now. Only time will tell if this new powerplant is dependable, but so far it seems like a solid rig, and all the companies that take it apart and do there research on it seem to think its a rock solid unit...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

The glass roof doesn't open, I have heard the 6 speed manual at full throttle shifts funny(1st to 4th) first year engines are expected to have quirks I would wait till they are worked out! The new six even with duals sounds week even with 305 hp and they say the new 5.not 0 doesn't sound as nice as the 4.6 and definitely not like mid 80's early 90's 5.oooooooh's
Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Go with the 3.73 option. It's a very cheap upgrade compared to how much you would spend on an aftermarket install. Car is strong and solid, I prefer the 05-09 body style though so that is the only reason I won't be trading in my car. Glassroof is also an attractive/cool package. I'd try to get in one and check it out yourself before you decide on a $2000 package you may not like. Also, not a fan of 6 speeds, I like my 5 speed and I know I'm in minority here. If you got the cash, and you're happy with the car... it's highly recommendable.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Will,

Welcome to the forum.

I see that you already own Japanese and I assume you like the reliability. The Infinity is an extension of the way the Japanese make cars, it just has a lot more luxury and techno goodies.

I came to Mustang after owning several Honda's and Acura's. The best way I can describe the difference is this:

If you like the comfort of knowing your car will always start, is balanced and a good highway cruiser, go with the G37.

If you want to own an icon, feel the pulse of 400 V8 ponies under your foot, if you like knowing that at any second you can double the posted speed limit, if you like to talk cars everyime you gas up....

Go Mustang.

BTW, 15K on my car and zero problems. It is a solid car...oh yea, get the 6-speed.

Keep browsing this forum and get a feel for the passion people have for thier cars.

Good luck
Old 09-10-2010, 08:44 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
I would go with the 3:73 gear ratio option. IMO I'd have it replaced with 4:10 but that is not a factory option would have to have the dealer install it.

I have not seen anyone mention 4:10s much in regards to the new stang. I think 4:10 on the 2011 0-60 times would be a beast!
The 3.73s are good with this car but almost overkill with the already close ration 6 Speed. 4.10s would be way overkill in the car IMHO.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

3.55 gears are the way to go in the 11, brembos are great value for what u get. Mine has been fine only problem is usb port but thats been an issue for awhile. 1-4 skip shift is not an issue...
Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
The glass roof doesn't open, I have heard the 6 speed manual at full throttle shifts funny(1st to 4th) first year engines are expected to have quirks I would wait till they are worked out! The new six even with duals sounds week even with 305 hp and they say the new 5.not 0 doesn't sound as nice as the 4.6 and definitely not like mid 80's early 90's 5.oooooooh's

What you are referring to is the Skip-Shift technology and I have not heard of any such issue with it occurring at full throttle (and I actually own one). Skip-shift only happens if you are shifting below a certain RPM and at exactly the right speed (which is what it is supposed to do). I have NEVER encountered it because with 3.73 gears the RPMs in 1st rise too fast to encounter it.

As for the sound, it's completely subjective. I think the 5.0 sounds great but I also think both the 4.6 and the 5.0 are too quiet which is why most people put an exhaust on them.

OP, take a look in the 5.0 Tech Section for more info directly from people who own 2011s.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:51 PM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

what do you mean 5. not 0? This is the first time the 5.0 is ACTUALLY a 5 liter engine...
The skip shift feature is annoying if it kicks in, I have the 3.73's and have had it happen once or twice... I dont like it at all. But I usually as stated get into the upper RPM's before it kicks in, so its a non issue. I have stated a ton of times before, that the new 5.0 sounds wimpy compared to the 2010 4.6, but only at idle and lower RPM's. Then it starts to sound like muscle... But thats an easy fix The 6 speed ( both auto and manual are 6's now ) is a nice shifting tranny, much smoother than my 2010 5sp stick. I love the car, only wish I had more leg room or have the steering wheel telescoping, as when My arms are confortable, my legs are not as there to close to the dash....

Quick Reply: A few question about the 11 mustang GT