Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion from Auto to Stick.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I've been thinking about the swap because I really want to look into doing it but I'm starting to leanagainst doing it. The $1,500-2,000 could be much better used. It's not a very cost effective mod
Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

I work at a dealership service department where this question/conversation comes up from time-to-time. I must say that anything can be done with the right amount of money. I see in your statement that this modification has consideration due to sentimental value of which I can appreciate.
I am going to put that aside for a moment and pose some considerations. Many of the people who have asked about that modification have got from me the answer your not looking for....("Buy a vehicle WITH a manual transmission").
First consideration is the mechanics. Consider changing all the required driveline components....Flywheel, clutch assembly, transmission assembly and maybe a different driveshaft. I must consider the possibility of a different crossmember, transmission mount, etc., etc.
Next, pedal assemblies, shifter, interior/console modifications/changes. clutch hydraulic components, hoses, etc.
And the most trickiest part which will never be right...the electronics. Your automatic vehicle has what I call, it's own distinctive fingerprint...which is shared, to some extent, with vehicles optioned the same way your automatic vehicle is...
You have wiring harnesses, which in most cases are wired for an automatic transmission equipped vehicle. In addition, automatic transmissioned vehicles utilize different sensors than a manual transmission vehicle (manuals do not have a neutral safety switch and automatic vehicles do not have a clutch safety switch.....)...let's go on to the transmission itself where most current automatic transmissions are electro-mechanically shifted and manual transmissions are not. Here the electronic architecture is as different as a Hummer H1 and a Toyota Rav4. Programming in the powertrain control module will be looking for those input signals and references and they will not be there. Besides wiring harnesses and sensors, we need to consider any module, such as the
powertrain control module,which may differ between a manual and automatic-equipped vehicle.
O.K. let's go on a llittle bit further and consider electronic programming. I am unsure if there is custom programming out there which can span the needs between these two different vehicles. Changes like this, I suspect, would create havoc with FORD electronic tools (Oasis), if they were to be used. In the carline for which I work, alot of the programming which is done, is performed online with the manufacturer. When programming, we submit the VIN and the manufacturer has all the RPO codes for that specific VIN# and in a case like this, would know by your VIN that this vehicle is (should be) equipped with an automatic transmission. When our manufacturer verifies a non-consistency or non-factory modification (spelled l-i-a-b-i-l-i-t-y), they walk away from it like a wineo from an empty bottle of tawny port.
I could go on, but IF, I REPEAT, IF, I was to take on this project and sentimentality does not have a financial or common-sense ceiling, then I would search and find another Mustang with manual transmission (total loss...maybe hit hard in the rear) , find a good Ford techncian to have as a "wrench" or consultant, get a garage big enough and well-equipped enough to park each car side-by-side and go to it....
Old 09-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

i did it, if you want to switch to a manual, find somone in your area who has a manual 08 gt and wants to go automatic and take it to a reputable mustang shop and get it done. I got the swap done for $400.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch Red GT
i did it, if you want to switch to a manual, find somone in your area who has a manual 08 gt and wants to go automatic and take it to a reputable mustang shop and get it done. I got the swap done for $400.

I'm going to start looking around. Just in case
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UpTo11
Why would you want to do that?

I would just put on a new TC and a TCI Ratchet.
TCI ratchet looks to be my answer for this problem. and what do you mean by TC?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
+1 You can always drive your auto as a manual BTW.. (...)
With all other advantages of an auto tranny considered, driving an auto as manual is not even remotely similar to the real stick. Try to do the heel toe with an auto...
Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

The TCI is a nice quality piece. I bought it to replace the stock shifter after I destroyed the sliding dust cover. The TCI feels solid, the looks are subjective. I added a ball to mine, as they are easy to customize to your taste. Shifting manually is pretty easy with the ratchet, but somehow seems pretty worthless, I just stick it in drive 99.9% of the time. All in all a much better quality piece than the stocker, it is cable operated, and fits just like stock. The SR55S isn't going to shift like a manual with the addition of the TCI for sure.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrumck
With all other advantages of an auto tranny considered, driving an auto as manual is not even remotely similar to the real stick. Try to do the heel toe with an auto...
I know it's not the same. Just giving him an alternative to ripping apart his car since he doesn't want to trade it for an actual manual.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ikemikestang
TCI ratchet looks to be my answer for this problem. and what do you mean by TC?
Torque Converter.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrumck
With all other advantages of an auto tranny considered, driving an auto as manual is not even remotely similar to the real stick. ..
Thankfully!!! Unlike my '08 Tremec manual I can actually get in my 2010 auto when it's cold outside and shift into reverse....and when it shifts into 1st and 2nd the gears don't clash!!!

Originally Posted by rebus
All in all a much better quality piece than the stocker, it is cable operated, and fits just like stock. The SR55S isn't going to shift like a manual with the addition of the TCI for sure.
Again...wouldn't WANT it to shift like the manual!!
I'm confused about "cable operated" though??? Isn't it all electronic?

Last edited by STANGmole; 09-19-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Conversion from Auto to Stick.