Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 PM
MiamiGT

Originally Posted by outceltj
I have the Detroit Rocker Cam that brenspeed offers and i personally think its a great bolt on. The sound is great with the Flowmasters. Good gains in hp also. To the above poster yes u should get 373 or 410 if your going to get cammed
Thanks for that, any reason as to why you should do a gear swap? just for knowledge sake. I was gonna do it anyways.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

b/c they lower your idle to get that nice lopey effect from the cam so in doing that a gear swap is beneficial to keep the car from stalling
Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 AM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

I have hot rods in my car and im making great power with them. I have awesome drivability as well. Its all about the tune really. You will def see a huge difference when you combine the cams with a good set of long tubes. I have almost no low end torque loss because my tune is on point by Chris Rose. Some guys get 3hp out of the hot rods and some guys are getting 30hp so your tuner makes all the difference in the world when it comes to this. The tuner plays a huge part in drivability as well. There are some that know little tweaks that can be done to still run a really low idle so you get the great sound but still take off from a light like stock. I would def look into an american muscle tune done by Chris Rose either cam you go with.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 AM
M7MDGOTHICA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by branman1
I have hot rods in my car and im making great power with them. I have awesome drivability as well. Its all about the tune really. You will def see a huge difference when you combine the cams with a good set of long tubes. I have almost no low end torque loss because my tune is on point by Chris Rose. Some guys get 3hp out of the hot rods and some guys are getting 30hp so your tuner makes all the difference in the world when it comes to this. The tuner plays a huge part in drivability as well. There are some that know little tweaks that can be done to still run a really low idle so you get the great sound but still take off from a light like stock. I would def look into an american muscle tune done by Chris Rose either cam you go with.

i like how your car sounds now but i wana ask have you tried your previous setup with an xpipe instead of an hpipe when you had the roush catback??
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 AM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

no i havent tried that combo. It was just way too loud with no cats.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 AM
M7MDGOTHICA
1st Gear Member

how many rwhp do u have ?
am planning to do the same mods you did except the roush catback and an xpipe, what exhaust do u have now exactly? any link
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

here ya go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrh2LvIMsUA
Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
Well then from mechanic to mechanic I highly recommend the Hot Rod Cams. I put mine in last winter and have about 3k miles on them with a Brenspeed tune and the car runs awesome. Nice choppy idle, never stalls, great power, no bogging, instant power. Lights the tires up through 3rd gear. Fun as hell to drive.
Very nice sounding ride there.

For your cam you have in it, what are the cam profile numbers?
And does Brenspeed have specific tunes for the different Hot Rod cam profiles?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

hot rods sound good but there cams ford came up with what, like 4 years ago now? Then thumpers came out to give even more sound and about even power.... then almost nothing while they raked in the cash. Brenspeed said we want the best sound, best power, and perfect street manners, we have been tuning both these for 4 years, why not take what we learned off both, and have comp grind us the best cam that can be put on a stock valve train.

Welcome Detroit rockers.
For example, i have the Comp Stage 2 blower grind cams. They are a SICK cam, brenspeed made 70rwhp off them. And they sound REALLY good, not because they were made to sound good, but because they are actualy a cam desighned to operate one would expect with a lope like that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne9CC...eature=related
make sure you listen towards the end when they idle down;-) Now keep in mind, i also needed phasers, springs, and steel retainers to be able to handle those. I tear through spark plugs pretty quick (at $100 a set) and I get some idle surging sometimes that can be a pain. That said, WOW, do these cams move.

Where am I going with this? Well my mom has almost identical mods to me. However we didnt want her to put up with any of the issues I do, and she wasnt concerned about the extra 30-50hp or so so i am making. So we went with the Detroit Rockers (F.I. version of coarse.) Her car sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ej6...eature=related

Her ride is very smooth, little to no surging, and no issues with burrning up plugs. In other words i not only belive brenspeed made a DAM good set of cams with those detroit rockers, but I highly recomend them over either the thumpers or the hot rods.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by branman1
I cannot agree more. Simply dropping in a cam is useless unless you retune the engine to exploit the new breathing the cam gives your engine.

Additionally, since the new Coyote 5.0 is twin independently VCT, for low RPMs, even with more aggressive and higher lift cams, the tune with algorithms to phase the lobe centerlines with a larger LSA separation can eliminate lop and low end rough idle, or at the very least, mitigate it if the durations are particularly large.

I know that SCT is already writing tunes for the Ti VCT 5.0 Coyote to exploit the benefits of TiVCT, but I am not sure if Bama, Brenspeed, and others have doe the same yet.

Quick Reply: Cam upgrade