Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smooth starts from 1st gone on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:44 PM
onegoal
Banned

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Well you're in luck then, as it's Chinese/German.
Fords transmissions are made in China????
Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Guys, can we keep this on topic. I don't think this is a tranny issue. Seems more like the clutch changed.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Guys, can we keep this on topic. I don't think this is a tranny issue. Seems more like the clutch changed.
Only thing I can think of is that the clutch was burned on a fast acceleration, by not releasing it all the way or by engaging it at high RPM like in a burnout.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Shotokan1509
2nd Gear Member

Ford has a TSB about the clutch about it staying on the floor even when foot is lifted, maybe your pedal has something funky.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:01 PM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

Better take it back to the dealer. There have been dozens of these cars where the pressure plate bolts are backing out of the flywheel and tearing the clutch componets up.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
Fords transmissions are made in China????
Yes, and that sucks to high hell, the MT82 is made in china.

What sucks even more is Ford does not give that much of a discount for going with the Chinese tranny option. Ford only gives us less than $1000 off for going with the Chinese tranny than if you get the auto 6R80 American tranny.

Ford and Getrag saved a lot of money exploiting cheap Chinese slave labor and cheap Chinese manufacturing and avoiding expensive environmental laws in America, but yet Ford only gives us $1000 off.
Since the MT82 is Chinese, Ford should give us much more off because of all the money they saved.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:06 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Guys, can we keep this on topic.
The tranny being made in China could very well be the issue here, and thus it would be at the heart of what this thread is about.

Historically, and even now, Chinese made products were inferior, particularly because the Chinse factory guys either do not understand metallurgy and production techniques very well Or they are cutting way too many corners to save money. There are many Chinese factories who will cheat who employs them by using inferior materials that what was ordered and trying to pass the weaker product for what was originally ordered.

For example, a company says to a Chinese screw and bolt maker to use high strength steel with heat treatment. The Chinese contractor might cheat and use weaker steel and try to fraud the company into thinking that they are giving them what they ordered.
And the company that ordered the bolts would never know they are being frauded unless they inspect all the batches of screws and bolts to make sure the proper steel is being used.

Since we 'Stang buyers do not even know who Getrag is hiring to make the MT82, OR even if Getrag is testing the trannies to make sure they are properly built, we could never know for certain that these trannies are made to design specs.

As a result, if the Chinese factory is putting weaker steel in the gears and trying to slip that past Getrag and Ford, this could result in undue and faster wear in the tranny and this in as little as a few thousand miles, the tranny starts to exhibit bad shifting.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

So my car has about 1500 miles now and at around 500 something changed. I've driven stick exclusively for 25 years now and the FIRST THING I noticed about my car driving off the lot was how beautifully progressive and smooth the car was from a stop in first gear. Even my friends who have driven the car mentioned how great it was: no lurching or bucking. That's gone now. The clutch seems very difficult to modulate in 1st now from a stop. Either you have to slip the heck out of it (which makes me cringe) or the clutch engages, and the car "bucks" like it's bogged down for a sec. What happened?????
The one thing I noticed about Ford clutches is that they have a very fast engagement. From all the way down to about maybe a third of the way out, the clutch plate is not even engaging. But from about a third way out to about 2/3 of the way out, the Ford clutch begins to engage exponentially. And from 2/3 of the way out to all the way out, your clutch is already fully engaged.

I don't know why Ford does this instant-quick clutch engagement design, I guess it is meant to address people who ride the clutch and let it slip like crazy. It sucks, because if I want a silky smooth 1st gear launch, I have to ride the clutch and let it slip like crazy, otherwise, I will buck the car and put alot of undue shock stresses on the drivetrain.

I am surprised your MT82 even had a silky smooth 1st gear engagement. From the very day I took my car home, I had to ride the clutch like crazy to keep it from bucking and putting shock stresses on the drivetrain.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:41 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
Do we need gear more manufacturing in this country? Yes. Is a country that only does manufacturing going to take over the world when all the engineering is done outside that country? No.

Every automanufacturer and parts supplier sets up shop in countries with high import tariffs so they can sell product in that country competitively. Getrag has plants here, and many other places in the world to serve a global market. So does ford, gm, fiat, renault, MB, bmw, etc. Just because something is made in another country does not give any correlation to its final quality.
One thing that hurts America and American jobs because we are losing so many skilled labor jobs to China is because we allow them to play unfairly.

China does not have minimum wage laws, and they do not have anything comparable to job safety and job training like the US regulations require. So those poor Chinese workers are worked very hard for little pay and under unsafe conditions. Just so they Chinese company can make money at the expense of these workers.

And the US companies are part of this problem. They see that they can exploit slave-like labor and fire skilled American labor just to save a few dollars. Greed is the bottom line here.

Another thing that makes unrestricted and too open of trade with the countries that do not pay employees well is that the countries themselves exploit money exchange so that it is always easier for themselves to export and force America to import. This is called a trade deficit. Due to money exchange and the allowing of exploited slave-like labor causes Americans to wind up importing much more than exporting. The trade numbers are published by the Feds, and it is clear that China imports very little from America, but causes America to import way more. A fair trade would be where the import ratio would be near even and where both benefit from each other. But instead, we are being drained of our jobs because of the trade deficit.

And the exporting of US jobs is one major reason why the American economy, and even the World economy took a hit. Americans, who once could consume and fule the economy with moeny flow lost their jobs and took lesser paying jobs. Thus they could spend less and pump less money into the money flow. This in turn dominoed and began to hurt other countries too. Even China t one time felt the hurt of Americans not being able to buy.A few years ago, during teh recession, Americans didn't buy toys one Christmas. Since China is toy-land manufacturing, dozens of their toy factories shut down and they fired Chinese toy workers. Some of them even revolted against the company and vandalized the toy factories because they too lost their jobs.

Aside from international trade, another reason why the US economy sucked was of course poor lending. We all know what became of that.
And another still existing problem is the over-gouging cost of benefits to support American employees. Healhcare is one major factor why companies would hire a sweat-shop Chinese worker over an American worker. You don't have to pay the Chinese worker's vrey expensive health care cost. For the health care benefits, we can blame several factors: The greedy medical companies who charge too much for medical goods, equipment, and services. We can also blame the health insurance industry. These guys are nothing more than fat-cat overpaid middlemen who do nothing but add to the medical racket. Then there is the ambulance chaser. These guys started suing like crazy during the '90's, even frivolously. This drove up medical insurance, and doctors began to pay thousands more for malpractice insurances.

This was when the insurance fat cats spawned like an infection, and they spurred on many more ambulance chasers, who also grew in numbers like a parasite. Worse, a vicious cycle began and the doctors saw the insurance fatcats had money to take and began to add to the problem by overcharging on the insurance claims. Thus the insurance companies increase their rates to cover this act. And it keeps on going out of control.

Sorry, this kind of crap pisses me off. We Americans are cutting our own throats.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:47 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RideMyAssOff
Must be the driver....too much power to handle???
I noticed that too. If I let out the clutch too damn fast when I step on it, my car will not just buck , it will wheel hop!

But aside form riding the clutch and cooking the clutch pads to a smoother weight transfer, I guess I can get better LCAs to eliminate the wheel hop.

However, I doubt that my tranny or clutch has anything to do whith wheel hop; just my feet!

Quick Reply: Smooth starts from 1st gone on 5.0