Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GT traction control button question

Old 10-16-2010, 05:24 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Mach2
For a dummy, what is the complete title of this 5.0 mag?
Sorry, I thought this was the Mustang Bible...

5.0 Mustang and Super Fords
Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Mach2
2nd Gear Member

Thanks 157db, off the Walmart to get a copy of this mag.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Mach2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
"According to Ford, AdvanceTrac uses sensors to detect and measure side-to-side skidding conditions.
It does this by monitoring the vehicle's speed, throttle position and steering wheel angle.
When AdvanceTrac senses wheel slippage, it reduces engine torque and applies the brakes as needed."

Read about it in this months 5.0 mag.It lets you mash the gas to the floor into,
thru and out of a turn.
It modulates the power to the maximum
allowed for the grip you have available.
Is that the December 2010 edition of 5.0 Mustang & Super fords???
Old 10-17-2010, 12:44 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
"According to Ford, AdvanceTrac uses sensors to detect and measure side-to-side skidding conditions.
It does this by monitoring the vehicle's speed, throttle position and steering wheel angle.
When AdvanceTrac senses wheel slippage, it reduces engine torque and applies the brakes as needed."

Read about it in this months 5.0 mag.
It lets you mash the gas to the floor into,
thru and out of a turn.
It modulates the power to the maximum
allowed for the grip you have available.
Doesnt TCS already do all this? especially the part applying brakes to the appropriate wheel to eliminate wheel slippage?

Sorry for so many questions, I still don't quite get the exact differences between what is supposed to be TCS and what is supposed to be AdvanceTrac.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 AM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

AdvanceTrac is essentially a stability control system. It keeps your car from fish tailing or going into motions/positions that you didn't intend. Traction Control simply eliminates wheel spin. I believe the AdvanceTrac stuff is fairly new on Mustangs (MY 2010).

Prior to that we only had Traction control. I know this because I took my 2006 Mustang into a perpendicular position when I went through a puddle that only wet the passenger side wheels. I haven't "tested" this condition in my 2011 and hope I never do.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys.

Traction control operates when wheel-spin is sensed such as taking a corner when the road is wet or slippery. Or tire spin on take-off. Controls the tire by pulling power and/or operating the rear brake(s). Something you would normally do but it does it sooner.

The Advance track is different. If the computor senses an understeering condition or oversteer condition, it will apply individual front or rear brake as required in an attempt to correct. (i.e. Taking a right turn corner too fast and you feel the car is understeering toward the outside it might apply the front left or right rear (?) brake to correct.) The Sport mode (not on all cars) will allow more leeway in the slip angles before intervening. Not sure if it cuts throttle or not, but this is the gist of the reasoning behind the system.

I would be very leery of the suggestion you can mash the throttle anywhere in the turn. Drive the car as you normally would. These nannies are back-ups if you overcook it. Remember the laws of physics are still applicable. Keep the systems on for the street and turn 'em off at the track. Can't really see a time to just use the Sport mode in any case. Either all on or all off, I would think.

Drive safe guys.

Cheers.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Thanks, I always though when you hit the TCS button, you automatically turn all that stuff off.

I always though the stability control of even yaw and roll was part of traction control, in addition to wheel slip control. I never knew this was an independent feature from simple wheel slip control.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 PM
johnnyv555

Thanks!! I will try these modes on the way home from work!!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 PM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

Also be aware that I and others have experienced wheel-hop going WOT from a standstill with TCS on. It is disturbing but hopefully it wont happen to you. TCS, ironically keeps you from spinning off the road when this happens.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cjs06
Also be aware that I and others have experienced wheel-hop going WOT from a standstill with TCS on. It is disturbing but hopefully it wont happen to you. TCS, ironically keeps you from spinning off the road when this happens.
I am one of those others. The wheel hopping is actually incessant.

I wonder if Sport Mode will correct this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 GT traction control button question