Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GT traction control button question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cjs06
Also be aware that I and others have experienced wheel-hop going WOT from a standstill with TCS on. It is disturbing but hopefully it wont happen to you. TCS, ironically keeps you from spinning off the road when this happens.
Maybe better to say it "helps you" rather than "keeps you".

For the road course, traction control is usually turned off as it pulls the power exiting a corner if you get back on the throttle too soon and spin a tire, then you have wait helplessly for the engine to come back. Although these newer systems seem to restore power sooner than earlier ones. Also we find that there is often more rear brake pad wear than on the front because the system sometimes will use the rears against the throttle. Thus the reasons for T/C off at the track. Similarly the Advance track can intervene when you want some minor oversteer. Thus the vaunted in-between Sport mode. But again in my estimation, all off at the track and all on on the street. Don't need no stinkin' Sport mode. Right guys.

In my other post, I may have erred in my example of a right turn understeer condition. In that case the computor might use some right front or right rear brake in an attempt to correct. It's trying to slow the right side down so the car will pivot right. i.e. set up an oversteer condition to counter the understeer. Very simplistical explanation I know, but thats the way I try to think it out.
In other words if you enter a corner too fast you will not go off the road facing forward (understeer) or backward (oversteer), but sideways if the system works as advertised. LOL.

Drive safe.

Cheers.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by jsnyng
You don't have to be stopped to engage sport mode. You can be at any speed and barely touch the brakes, double tap the button, and you've got sport mode. I drive with that 90% of the time. The other 10% is because I've forgotten to turn it on.
Ditto!!