Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding and Warranties...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:01 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default Modding and Warranties...

I remember early on when we all started modding the S197's, a lot of the big questions from newbies were what will void warranties...

I figured those questions might start wandering around again with all the new models coming around and wanted to let you all know something...

If you look in your owners manual of your 2011, or even in your challenger or your camaro, you will find a small fine print piece of information that may surprise you.

It appears the manufacturers are no longer giving any quarter on modding at all. Inside every single new muscle car owners manual (including the new stangs) is a fine print that states any configuration or change to the factory tune will void your warranty. And yes - they will know if you changed the factory tune - even if you put it back to stock.

So even a tune and your warranty is by-by.

At least now we don't have to worry about what will void your warranty cause anything will.

So be warned and if you are someone who is concerned with warranties, then don't even tune your car - don't do anything to it cause the days of modding and warranties are long gone.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modaddict
I remember early on when we all started modding the S197's, a lot of the big questions from newbies were what will void warranties...

I figured those questions might start wandering around again with all the new models coming around and wanted to let you all know something...

If you look in your owners manual of your 2011, or even in your challenger or your camaro, you will find a small fine print piece of information that may surprise you.

It appears the manufacturers are no longer giving any quarter on modding at all. Inside every single new muscle car owners manual (including the new stangs) is a fine print that states any configuration or change to the factory tune will void your warranty. And yes - they will know if you changed the factory tune - even if you put it back to stock.
So even a tune and your warranty is by-by.

At least now we don't have to worry about what will void your warranty cause anything will.

So be warned and if you are someone who is concerned with warranties, then don't even tune your car - don't do anything to it cause the days of modding and warranties are long gone.
It takes along time to download a 5.0 tune to the car, I wonder what kind of ghosts are being put on the ecu.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

There has to be a way around that. Its just a computer and every computer can be wiped. It just depends on how the computer work or exactly what information they use to know it had a tune installed.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yes, don't enjoy your car for the entire length of you warranty. Nevermind the fact that during my ownership of at least 8 new vehicles, I never, NEVER had a warranty repair worth not modding over.

Let the wusses shake in their panties. Those that live for more power will let them.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Yes, don't enjoy your car for the entire length of you warranty. Nevermind the fact that during my ownership of at least 8 new vehicles, I never, NEVER had a warranty repair worth not modding over.

Let the wusses shake in their panties. Those that live for more power will let them.

I would say, most times a car needs warranty, it's due to aftermarket parts anyway. My axle back isn't perfectly even, thanks Pypes, and if it were Ford, coming on the car as an OEM option, I would have them fix it. Also, I installed GT500 shocks, springs, and strut mounts. The strut mounts clunk, which would be a TSB, however, if I didn't replace the suspension in the first place, I wouldn't have had a problem.

Some people will protect their warranty with their life, and enjoy the car enough in stock form. Others just don't give a ****, and get bored easily.

This is definitely a good thread that many of us will likely be linking others to; I can see it already.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

I just had a thought, what if you bought a second ECU to install on the car and use that one as your modded one and when **** breaks just stick your factory one back on... I know thats expensive but hey it will save your warranty.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I'd like to see someone scan the fine print from the owners manual. I'm having a hard time believing Ford would really print this unless it was emissions components specific.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

For the most part the dealership is the deciding factor. They get paid by Ford to do warranty work so will disregard most mods, it's just not economical to turn work away.
Of course, some of the bigger dealers are just douchebags and make it hard work.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:02 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
For the most part the dealership is the deciding factor. They get paid by Ford to do warranty work so will disregard most mods, it's just not economical to turn work away.
Of course, some of the bigger dealers are just douchebags and make it hard work.
I've never been denied warranty coverage but I've had to deal with some real ****** for service managers and service writers. No mods involved, just work they didn't want to do or they tried to intimidate me into getting unneeded service work done before doing the warranty claim. They have always backed off when I got irate but I'll bet it doesn't go that way for mellower people. Needless to say those dealerships haven't gotten any more of my business. On the flip side some dealerships are great and really go out of their way to take care of you. It doesn't make much sense but it does prove that their are *** holes no matter where you go.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red-GT500
I just had a thought, what if you bought a second ECU to install on the car and use that one as your modded one and when **** breaks just stick your factory one back on... I know thats expensive but hey it will save your warranty.
And what size panties DO you wear?...

Quick Reply: Modding and Warranties...