Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have any good recommendations for a radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 AM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Also, you have to be smart on how you speed...
Not only for safety reasons but you don't want to fall in the wolf's jaws.

If you're alone in traffic or in a gap (or on top of a hill), no freaking fancy detector will save your *** because the cop will turn his radar on at the last minute and your detector warning sound will be there to tell you that you just got BUSTED, lol.
I will say that they save you about 80% of the time in town but on open roads I don't trust them for the reasons mentioned above.

A jammer is cool but against the law I'm sure...
In New Jersey, it's ironic because radar jammers are illegal. They are also proven to be 0% effective under any circumstance. Laser Jammers are not illegal, and are 99% effective in the right circumstance.

9500 and Valentine 1 are no doubtlessly the top dogs in radar detectors. A radar detector is useless without a jammer, because you never know which cop is shooting the laser at you. I believe you have 2/10ths of a second to go back to legal speed once you're hit with it.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
jessejamesiv
1st Gear Member

valentine one is def the best in my opinion and also has a nice rear view mirror bracket that does away with the suction cup on the window... Steak Sauce (A1) in my opinion...
Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Default stealth mode cops

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
I would beg to differ with you. Every training class I have been to says that the interference from being parked in a false area is not enough to throw off the lidar.
They TRAIN you to hide and give out tickets? I cant stand cops that hide and ticket people, where I used to live we had cops that hid in some ingenious spots, but we also had ingenious people who warned each other with headlights. lol, I know they're just doing their jobs, but why hide? They should be a visible deterrent to the majority of drivers, not hidden, waiting for ONE guy, and pulling him over. Or is my logic flawed? Once again don't mean ANY offense to police officers, they're usually decent guys. (And robo-cop was my all time favorite movie as a kid)
Old 11-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

It used to be that cops sat in plain view in order to keep drivers driving at legal speeds. This is when it was indeed an attempt to promote safety.

Now, it's all about the money. By hiding, they can bring more dollars into the treasury. Any cop that denies this is a liar.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Ain't that the truth. And the 'driver responsibility program' surcharges I mentioned...that's not related to safety either. It's the state getting their piece of the pie.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:17 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Ain't that the truth. And the 'driver responsibility program' surcharges I mentioned...that's not related to safety either. It's the state getting their piece of the pie.
I suppose at the low numbers that they are today, you're right. They should be launched much higher if they effectively want to combat speeders.

I do personally think that when you're caught over and over for speeding, it's clear that the penalties aren't enough for you and thus they should be higher. It just makes sense. Say you got 10 years prison time each time you murdered someone, wouldn't you agree that the punishment should be progressive rather than the same thing over and over?

I know murder and speeding aren't the same, so don't get me wrong there, but I do believe in progressive penalization. It's just logical.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:19 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

If you aren't breaking the law, you shouldn't have to worry . I'm playing devil's advocate to an extent here, but regardless of the methods used to capture you speeding, it still comes down to the fact that you WERE speeding. Yes, I think that cops in plain view probably do more for public safety by deterrence than they do hiding for ticket maximization, but that doesn't change what 90% of people here have a problem with, the ticket the end up getting.

Pay your taxes and vote yes on public safety measure and bonds and cops can hand out fewer tickets .
Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikodemos
Or to not speed...
^^^ now thats funny...I dont care who you are!!
In my world..quite impossible to do...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:23 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

So true. I think the main idea is that you aren't going to be able to change the law, so no point in really arguing over what's right and wrong. In any case drive safe even if you're speeding
Old 11-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
^^^ now thats funny...I dont care who you are!!
In my world..quite impossible to do...
You can speed in Idaho? Idaho here I come!!

Quick Reply: Have any good recommendations for a radar detector?