Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade Reality Check

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:14 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Default Upgrade Reality Check

Not trying to start any wars or flaming or anything like that, but I've noticed a kind of culture among "car guys" that is contagious.

Try to be honest

How many of you get performance mods even though you are not a performance driver? How may of you like to talk about your car's "specs" but have never, ever been on a track to use that potential? And never will...

How many of you have caved in on peer pressure and upgraded your car even though the only people who care are the other "car guys". You know, when you buy that little styling mod and you can't wait to get home to post a pic on the forum so you can get a few nods of "hey I like it!" Because, you wouldn't want to feel left out now, would you?

Muscle Car ownership is definitely a culture of corruption LOL

We feed off each other and spawn our own obsessions. Which is fine, because we all have our passions and our hobbies... I'm not hating; I'm as guilty as the next guy. I can't wait to do my next mod and tell another car jock about it!!!

I'm Just curious to hear the stories (if anyone can be honest) of the upgrades or mods that later on you realized that you don't need or don't really care, and the "hey that's nice" that you got for a fleeting moment, in hindsight, hardly made it worth the expense...

We car nuts can be a pretty odd crowd, that's for sure. Now, let's be honest, and share some stories where we overextended out budgets just to feel like we were fitting in... Haha

I know, I know... sacrilege on a mod forum. O.O

Last edited by Fifthwind; 11-19-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You have a point. There are people out there that mod their cars and never use the car to anywhere near it potential. But you have to look at it as a hobby.
People like to create, and people like to make cars their "own".

Modding a car gives the person a chance to do that. It makes the car much more "yours" in a way than just a stock car.
Your own combos of this and that.

Plus their is something about knowing that if you want to... you do have
that power waiting for you.

It is definitely a culture. That is for sure.
Many people view cars as just a tool to get from point a to point b.
Other people have a much deeper connection to their vehicles.
They like to know they helped make their "babies" what they are.

Finally lets face it... It's just FUN!
Especially on the mods you can do yourself. Nothing like getting out the tools
and after admiring the work you put in.

Hell it might sound stupid but I wouldn't trade my car in for a Z06.
This car has become an extension on myself.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 11-19-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:00 AM
mc429c
1st Gear Member

like my pop says "I like to have it so I know I can scare the $HIT outta myself IF I choose to"
Old 11-19-2010, 06:10 AM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

I think it has alot to do with personalizing one's vehicle, in regards to styling mods. Some people like going ***** to the wall with full body kits and some people like keeping a relatively stock look. It's all preference and not necessarily needed by any means; it's about personalizing your favorite car and sharing the experience with others who share the same culture @ car shows, cruize-ins, etc.

Performance mods, for me personally, is about getting a level of performance that exceeds my expectations. There is also that knowledge of your cars potential and how that compares to other cars. However, I do take my car to the drag strip. While that may seem unwise because it stresses the car; I want my car to exceed my expectations and honestly I want to go fast and get thrown in my seat.

I like all cars, don't get me wrong. I don't have any biases, mostly because I didn't have any influence towards a particular make or brand.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I cant go as far as to say I like ALL cars LOL!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mc429c
like my pop says "I like to have it so I know I can scare the $HIT outta myself IF I choose to"
I like that one and I will now use it! Thanks lol.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 AM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

From the automotive aspect, I think this starts with the purchase of the car itself. As the host of the program "Car Crazy" says, the obsession with cars lik this is a disease Well, I'm a sick puppy and I'm not lookin" for a cure.............
Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Taskiss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
How many of you get performance mods even though you are not a performance driver?
It's peer pressure. Part of me wants a manual transmission for the same reason. It's not happening, but there you have it.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 AM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

Ohh come on.. It's like any hobby. How many people spend way more than they need to on Camera's even though they are never going to go into professional photography. Or a collection of gun's when all they'll ever do is go to a shooting range, never competitions.

I'm a huge offender of this. Rarely at the track, but want limitless hp
Old 11-19-2010, 07:36 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I will admit there are a lot of mods that I would like to do to my car but in reality, I don't really need it. I hardly drive the car and it would be an expense that I can invest in other things.
Most of the mods I have now is because of all the cool things I have seen and heard on this forum.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Reality Check