Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If power window broken, how to get in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM
kingnut
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
kingnut is awesome.
thanks man. besides the fact you made absolutely no sense talking about you cant shut your doors with your windows all the way up. id say you know alot about cars in general.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

The door shuts, and then the window goes up into a sort of sleeve as to seal the window. That's the best I'm going to explain it untill you check it out yourself. Opening the door with the window still up causes the window to flex in it's mounts
Old 12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
The door shuts, and then the window goes up into a sort of sleeve as to seal the window. That's the best I'm going to explain it untill you check it out yourself. Opening the door with the window still up causes the window to flex in it's mounts
the upward motion is to seal against the weather stripping, you can open without any problem at all, it only moves down in preparation of being closed.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
hence the need to be the king nut with 35 some posts.....
what else have you not heard of so that I can enlighten you....

wait, if you have not heard of it, how do you know to ask about it....

We are locked into a perpetual motion machine here....
WHAT?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingnut
thanks man. besides the fact you made absolutely no sense talking about you cant shut your doors with your windows all the way up. id say you know alot about cars in general.
Don't sweat it, BTW, you now have 37 posts!

Anyway, the question I guess that everyone is pondering here is just what kind of damage is being done to the windows and also the weather stripping when you open the door with no power to the window motors.

You asked WHY it is not recommended, which is what we all, and even what the OP is thinking in his question, and we didn't get an answer.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

go try it, pull the fuse and open the door, there is no difference. Closing it you have to be careful, basically set it next to the clip and gently push until it clicks, also put force on the window so it doesn't flex, but it will close.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM
kingnut
1st Gear Member

is this a new mustang feature?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingnut
is this a new mustang feature?
It started with the S197's I believe...

the upward motion is to seal against the weather stripping, you can open without any problem at all, it only moves down in preparation of being closed.
Your's must be different than mine. My stepmother's battery went dead once, and it was scary to open the door. The glass bent backward a good inch before it gave way and let the door open.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

must be, mine opens no problem
Old 12-12-2010, 04:29 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

...My stepmother's battery went dead once, and it was scary to open the door. The glass bent backward a good inch before it gave way and let the door open.
Based on this, I will make certain to have the doors already open and leave them open if I ever have to disconnect the batt.
Also, especially for taking my car to a non-Ford shop for any work that needs the batt to be disconnected, I will make the mechanics write in the special instructions to have the doors open prior to taking power out of the window motors or the electrical system.

My car could be like lostboyz' and no problem at all, BUT, my car could very well be like your stepmother's and a significant moment stress would be placed on the window.

Quick Reply: If power window broken, how to get in?