Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If power window broken, how to get in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:34 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

you shouldn't have to worry about it, they usually put the windows down on the cars they work on just in case the keys accidentally get locked in.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:43 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
you shouldn't have to worry about it, they usually put the windows down on the cars they work on just in case the keys accidentally get locked in.
ROFL! True! Sad, how some techs can be that dense.

Guys at the tire change shop, where they only do maintenance work such as oil change, tire change, alignment and balance, etc. (i.e. no considerable repairs) are not even certified auto mechanics.
Alot of the tire change guys or battery change guys are nothing more than high school kids working after school. And yeah, I can see how those clowns could lock the keys into the car!

As part of preventing that kind of an issue, I do hope they do not forget the preventative measure of rolling down the windows first!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I work as a common grease monkey, and yes, it's common to put down a window. Some cars (can't remember which ones) automatically lock the doors after you get out, so if the keys are in the car, you're screwed, especially if it's in a business's garage. I tend to put the passenger side down because alot of people have messed up windows and 9 times out of 10 it's the driver's window.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:22 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

157db that's funny! He now has 42 posts may have learned a little since! LMFAO
Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 PM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

My question isn't if a mechanic screws up, though. It's if something is wrong with the window mechanism, or if the battery is dead for some weird reason.

I'm just worried that something will go wrong with the window, or the battery may be dead for whatever reason, whether an odd, random incident, or if I were to leave the lights on or something.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:39 PM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

Well, the issue that I had in-question is now here. Because of ice and snow, my window is frozen. However, this gave me an excellent chance to test if it can be opened, or not. I was able to open it with ease. There was just barely enough clearance from the top of the window (driver's side) to open the car. Shutting the door wasn't as simple (the top-back corner of the window likes to catch when closing, but was easy to close from the outside. Closing from the inside, however, isn't going to be as easy. But for this situation, at least I can start the vehicle for it to warm up, and then hopefully melt some of that ice freezing the window in-place.

I'm unsure as to how I'd be able to close the door from the inside. This, of course, causes a problem in the even that the window mechanism itself were to break somehow, as I would either have to have the door partially open when driving, or risk breaking the window.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:35 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zulu45
Well, the issue that I had in-question is now here. Because of ice and snow, my window is frozen. However, this gave me an excellent chance to test if it can be opened, or not. I was able to open it with ease. There was just barely enough clearance from the top of the window (driver's side) to open the car. Shutting the door wasn't as simple (the top-back corner of the window likes to catch when closing, but was easy to close from the outside. Closing from the inside, however, isn't going to be as easy. But for this situation, at least I can start the vehicle for it to warm up, and then hopefully melt some of that ice freezing the window in-place.

I'm unsure as to how I'd be able to close the door from the inside. This, of course, causes a problem in the even that the window mechanism itself were to break somehow, as I would either have to have the door partially open when driving, or risk breaking the window.
This happend to me this morning aswell
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

Well, once the car heated up, it eventually got loose. There's a part of it on the outside of the window (not sure what it's called, the fuzzy pad that's against the window) that was frozen to the window. That is what kept it from moving this time. But at least I know that, in am emergency, the door will open. It isn't ideal, though, since it requires stress on the window to close the door from the inside. Half an inch just isn't enough (once it has cleared the top piece) to properly close the door, unfortunately, unless I'm missing something. (Dig the poorly-worded, mechanically-deficient, gibberish...)

I just drove my truck today, instead. Still, I hope that somebody here can tell me a way to close this door from the inside when the window is stuck like that. It would be more than just helpful, it would be a life saver.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Don't auto supply stores in your area carry spray cans of de-icer?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 PM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

Actually, I tried the de-icer... even that, with the car running, took about 30 min to let me use that window. It was frozen quite bad.

Either way, that isn't the issue. Ice is just one of many things that can happen to disable power windows, and my question doesn't specifically involve ice. What if the fuse goes out? What if the mechanism is broken? What if it is as simple as a loose wire? No matter what it is, it ends up with one result, the window will not lower a bit. So my question is how (if at all) can the door be closed from the inside without damage to the window? I know I can open the door (slowly), but closing causes a problem as the corner of the window catches on to the seal.

Last edited by zulu45; 12-13-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: If power window broken, how to get in?