Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Ok so here is what I did. I went and bought one of those cheap plug in voltage monitors from AutoZone and plugged it into the 12V outlet in the middle of the dash. Here are my results:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9714364/IMG_0179.MOV

No the alternator cannot handle everything running in the car and yes I believe it does have a problem. It fluctuates way too much at 1500 RPM, almost 1 volt at times and probably even more. So here is the synopsis: Driving in Louisiana at dark with the headlights on at 55 MPH, air conditioner on high fan, and the radio playing at 50% volume, the battery will eventually go dead. Yep there is definitely something wrong with that.

Last edited by kc5mhb; 12-21-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Added Video
Old 12-20-2010, 08:07 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kc5mhb
Ok so here is what I did. I went and bought one of those cheap plug in voltage monitors from AutoZone and plugged it into the 12V outlet in the middle of the dash. Here are my results:

I have a movie that will go here as soon as dropbox updates

No the alternator cannot handle everything running in the car and yes I believe it does have a problem. It fluctuates way too much at 1500 RPM, almost 1 volt at times and probably even more. So here is the synopsis: Driving in Louisiana at dark with the headlights on at 55 MPH, air conditioner on high fan, and the radio playing at 50% volume, the battery will eventually go dead. Yep there is definitely something wrong with that.
If you can replicate it for them, and/or give them video, you should be set.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZoomyX
After running some tests with a voltmeter I confirmed it was likely the alternator so I went and picked up an ultima alternator from oreillys auto parts for about $200. Installed it myself, used a charger to charge my battery back up (it was down to about 10.5v). Fired up fine and has been running strong for a week now.

thanks guys
Glad the stang is back to normal!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Good deal. This happened to me. I put on a new battery on an bad alternator in my 05, a made it about 3/4 a mile down the road before the entire thing shut down. Turns out the alternator reversed the current in the battery and fused the battery cables together. Good times. I knew I was in it deep when I was sitting at a stop light and saw smoke easing out from under my hood. I think I said something like " I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be happening".
Old 12-20-2010, 11:10 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

check battery with volt meter. 11-12 volts=good battery. check again while engine on and it should be around 14-16=good alternator.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

A good battery should test at 12.6-12.8V without the engine running. Anything less is NG.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Did the front bumper, grill upgrade and wired the fogs via a relay into the junction box under the hood and switched off the low beam wire. Not long afterwards, the original battery died so I replaced it and that was around October. 3 days ago the new(autozone Duralast Gold) battery went dead while driving the car. I had the lights, heater and radio on so I quickly shut everything unnecessary off and tried to rev the engine above 1500 rpm in an attempt to keep the car running. I made it about 10 minutes before the whole thing shut down on me. Went back to autozone (fortunately it was about a block away and my wife was able to pick me up) and they tested the battery. They said the battery was good it just needed a charge. I bought another one just like it to get me home and installed it. Brought the car back to autozone (they insisted on checking the alternator) and the guy put the test unit on the battery and said the alternator wasn't charging the battery. Anyway I took his word for it and went home. Took the vehicle to the dealer this morning and had them check the system and they claim the alternator is fine. I've never noticed water on the floor of the car, nor have I ever seen it leak into the passenger area. I'm wondering if the same alternator is being used on the V6 pony packages is the same one as the standard Mustangs. The alternator starts charging above 1500 rpm so I'm wondering if my jaunts to work are not enough to keep the battery charged with the fogs, radio and whatever else is on. Anyway, I'm looking to put a voltage gauge and possibly a ammeter seeing how you can't tell what is going on until its too late and the radio displays a 'Low Battery' notice. Maybe a lower RPM alternator would be an alternative?
Hey kc5mhb,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I noticed this concern keeps coming back and I know it can be frustrating. I would like to look into this further for you. Do you mind sending me your VIN, mileage, contact info and dealership info via private message so I can see how I can help?

Deysha
Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey kc5mhb,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I noticed this concern keeps coming back and I know it can be frustrating. I would like to look into this further for you. Do you mind sending me your VIN, mileage, contact info and dealership info via private message so I can see how I can help?

Deysha
Sketch
Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Hey kc5mhb,

Deysha
I got a better idea. You send me your REAL name employee id, residence, date of birth, and I'll have my agency's fleet manager verify you through Ford and your name will let me run you through Thinkstream. I don't give out VIN information and seeing how I work for Law Enforcement, determining if you are legit or not should be quite easy. Once verified I'll give you the OASIS id and you can follow up from there.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Do you mind sending me your VIN, mileage, contact info and dealership info via private message so I can see how I can help?
I got a better idea. You send me your REAL name employee id..
Yeah, why not just give an 800 # to call with a reference # attached to use?

Seems about as legit as an email asking to wire money for little ¨Pepe¨´s heart-bypass surgery in Afghanistan.

Last edited by wayne613; 12-21-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with my car?