Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlights question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

Under 6000k, properly aligned, and TURN YOUR FOGS OFF and you should be OK. I am one of those people with sensitive eyes that could very well be one of the ones flashing you. It's not cool to go past someone (especially on icy roads) and be left with spots in your eyes and left driving by braille until your sight returns. HIDs are OK as long as they're aimed properly, fog lights just add too much light and don't really help all that much. If it's raining/snowing so bad you can't see 5 feet in front of you they can help but in clear conditions you're just a douche. I keep a 2 million candlepower spotlight on my passenger seat and blast people all the time for not turning their highbeams down, whether they're coming at me or behind.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy
Under 6000k, properly aligned, and TURN YOUR FOGS OFF ... fog lights just add too much light and don't really help all that much. If it's raining/snowing so bad you can't see 5 feet in front of you they can help but in clear conditions you're just a douche. I keep a 2 million candlepower spotlight on my passenger seat and blast people all the time for not turning their highbeams down, whether they're coming at me or behind.
My hero.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:59 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

So, to sum up. An (I assume) rechargeable spotlight is charged in your house and dragged out each time to drive the car, or left in it and charged while ACC is on, just so you can flash people back while your being blinded eh?

Remind me to stay off your lawn later.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
So, to sum up. An (I assume) rechargeable spotlight is charged in your house and dragged out each time to drive the car, or left in it and charged while ACC is on, just so you can flash people back while your being blinded eh?

Remind me to stay off your lawn later.
It can be charged via AC power (has a plug on the back you just hook an extension cable to) or DC with the included power adapter. They've got 'em at Wal-Mart for $20 and you'd better believe it gets people's attention and they turn their brights down right quick.

Indeed. And keep your dog off, too
Old 01-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Under 6000k, . . . HIDs are OK as long as they're aimed properly, fog lights just add too much light and don't really help all that much.
The fogs need to be aimed properly, too. Beam control with higher wattage bulbs or other conversions tends to be poorer than OE.

If it's raining/snowing so bad you can't see 5 feet in front of you they can help but in clear conditions you're just a douche.
In clear conditions, they provide useful "fill" light out to about 100'. That's where your last opportunity to decide how to avoid road debris or potholes lies, and inside that distance the fogs by themselves are more useful than the OE HIDs by themselves.

I keep a 2 million candlepower spotlight on my passenger seat and blast people all the time for not turning their highbeams down, whether they're coming at me or behind.
I understand your frustration.

But I'm gonna take a wild guess here and bet that you've never shot your spotlight at a cop . . . if you ever do, post back and let us know how it played out.

Norm
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I keep a 2 million candlepower spotlight on my passenger seat and blast people all the time for not turning their highbeams down, whether they're coming at me or behind.
lol, I would have to say this seems a bit excessive. I could be wrong, but I would think the majority of people who have highbeams on are not doing it to be mean or to **** people people off. I mean, I am getting flashed a lot and its not because I am trying to blind people. People just want to see better.

I would also have to agree with Norm. I would say that if someone has HIDs and they are blinding other drivers, than the fog lamps are the least of the issues. Since mustangs don't come with daytime lights, I turn my fogs on every time I drive as my daytime lights. And before I changed to my HIDs I was never flashed when I had my regular and fogs on at the same time. With that said, I have to point out that I don't have sensitive eyes. So situations may be hugely different for you than me.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
So situations may be hugely different for you than me.
Yep. It´s an extra reason to rage out.

¨Baaaaastard!! Align your HID´s!!!¨
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I am curious what this guy is really yelling about.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Be sure that your headlights are aimed properly number one.

Also, what wattage are you running? I have the 35w 5000K HID's and have never been flashed. I also have the bulb caps built into my housing, but some people's headlights are missing those, that's why Todd at Retro-Solutions offers a bulb capping service. Perhaps this is your issue too?

Don
i agree and have the same in mine and the caps are in the 06 GTs...i bet its either no caps or coating or they are aimed improperly!
Originally Posted by Nuke
Either bulb caps or the coating (i can't recall it's technical term) are provided to prevent glare to on-coming drivers. I've heard that cheaper kits don't have either.
Originally Posted by Wil
Just order my 5000K 55W from Retro, Todd told me capping is an absolute must when going with HID. Where did you get your kit from?
agree with nuke and the above!