Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Wash In College?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Touchless or they have those rent-a-bay washes.

Since I don't have access to hose and water, I do the bay rentals. It's $5 for 30 min here. I can finish in time. I use their supplied wash and I do bring my own sponges to do any additional scrubbing or cleaning. If I am even more adventurous, I bring my own bucket and wash.

Seen someone take their Bugatti through Mike's (touchless) car wash LOL.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

I went to a self-service one today, and it was $1.25 for 4 minutes. Took me 3 4 minute sessions to do a half-*** job. It's better than being salt covered though.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

That pressure washer scared the s*** out of me, for the record. I never once hit the pressure. I just pushed the handle in enough to use it as a hose, when the pressure motor kicked in, I felt like I would peel the paint off of my car. I guess I'm just paranoid...only thing I've ever used a pressure washer for was cleaning a deck and spraying dog crap out of a kennel at my old job.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HT
That pressure washer scared the s*** out of me, for the record. I never once hit the pressure. I just pushed the handle in enough to use it as a hose, when the pressure motor kicked in, I felt like I would peel the paint off of my car. I guess I'm just paranoid...only thing I've ever used a pressure washer for was cleaning a deck and spraying dog crap out of a kennel at my old job.
As long as you aren't closer than a few feet away from the car, you should be alright, but definitely be careful with pressure washers as if you do get close enough with high enough pressure you could mess up your paint
Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

You may have no other choice than to use one of those "do it your self" car washes. If that's the case, get a bucket and some car wash. It may take longer and a few more dollars, but use the water portion only, wet down the car thoroughly. After you have rinsed everything off the car, including body, rims, wheel wells, etc, wash is down carefully. When completely washed, go back and rinse it. For drying, you can use some microfiber towels or other items which people here could suggest. But I would never use their brushes!! Everyone uses them and there's no telling whats in those brissles.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I know, but better safe than sorry I thought. I'll save the in-depth cleaning for my clay bar when I get a weekend at home rather than hitting the car with a pressure washer.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Oh definitely not. I went to Autozone and got a microfiber dread (floppy bristle things) sponge on clearance for $1.02. I turned on the foaming brush and plopped the suds out of it all over the car, and then used the sponge to clean. In hindsight, a bucket and some Gold Class soap would have been smarter, but the foamy stuff was enough to get the salt and muck off. That was my goal in the first place, get her cleaned up sufficiently with out screwing my paint up.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Maybe try Griot's Garage Spray-On Car Wash and the microfiber cloths that are recommend for use with the wash. My car doesn't get as dirty as yours, but I don't have access to a hose either. This works great for me.

http://www.griotsgarage.com
Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

The best option here in East Orlando is to go to one of the DIY bays. 2 bucks, 4 minutes, and a lot of hose settings (pre wash, soap, rinse, spot free rinse). I have yet to see any paint scratches or problems with staining but now then again I always bring a drying rag and detail my wheels, windows, tires, etc on the spot. Getting someone else to do it has never been an option for me, I like to use washing time to bond with my baby haha
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

go to the DIY place and blast off all the heavy stuff.
Then get 2 buckets of water and use the ONA no rinse wash
1 bucket with solution other bucket with plain water to rinse in.
http://autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
get a decent wash mitt something like this at pep boys or walmart
http://autogeek.net/cobra-blue-microfiber-mitt.html

then get a decent drying towel. Waffle weave towels

Quick Reply: Car Wash In College?