Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT LIVEWIRE TUNER QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 PM
k1975collins

Default SCT LIVEWIRE TUNER QUESTION

Well after reading the poll on "tune or not tuned" it was easy to know my next mod for my baby(2007 gt).
And I was just on American Muscle and saw the SCT LIVEWIRE tuner for 569.00.
I also read that to take full advantage of the tuner you must also have a cai.
when i bought my car in 08' it already had the K&N aircharger cai.
It was on the car when i bought it, so while im not 100 percent certain, i am prettyy sure it is one of the cai that does not require a tune.
my question is, will my CAI be just fine, Will i experience all the potential power gain from this SCT Livewire tuner with my current K&N CAI or will i need to buy one of the cai that DOES require a tune?
If so can you explain why?
Also do you think the Livewire tuner is overkill for me, after sll, i cant even change my oil? I know i want to get a tune for the car but i saw other SCT tuners for 379.00 are they just as good? i was going for the livewire because it looked liked it offered a lot more for under 200.00$ more that the 379.00.
Thank you
Old 01-16-2011, 09:28 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Go with the less expensive tuner and keep the K&N for now. The tune should be good for maybe 15-20 HP. Down the road, buy a better CAI from American Muscle or Brenspeed that requires a tune and have them e-mail you the new tune that you'll download into the tuner and install in your car - easy to do and worth it. You'll only get a few HP out of the CAI but the sound it makes under full throttle is worth the bucks spent. And it looks 100% better under the hood that the stock air box.

Then you can start planning what other changes to make. You can go "Show" or "Go" or both!!

Prepare for some great fun cause there's dozens of companies selling mods for Mustangs - and that doesn't even start to count the stuff available on E-Bay, etc.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Go to American muscle and buy a tuner then bama will write you free tunes for life. You tell them your mods and they write tunes for you. Shift points and firmness and different octanes. That is the best deal going and they will take into considration your mods and write it for them. Then they will tweek them to your liking. Best deal going,and if you add another mod down the road they will write you a tune accomodating for it for free. Can't go wrong. Best 400 bucks or whatever they are charging that you can spend. And if you can keep your foot out of it you may see an increase in fuel economy
Old 01-16-2011, 11:41 PM
X07TorchStangX

Originally Posted by k1975collins
Well after reading the poll on "tune or not tuned" it was easy to know my next mod for my baby(2007 gt).
And I was just on American Muscle and saw the SCT LIVEWIRE tuner for 569.00.
I also read that to take full advantage of the tuner you must also have a cai.
when i bought my car in 08' it already had the K&N aircharger cai.
It was on the car when i bought it, so while im not 100 percent certain, i am prettyy sure it is one of the cai that does not require a tune.
my question is, will my CAI be just fine, Will i experience all the potential power gain from this SCT Livewire tuner with my current K&N CAI or will i need to buy one of the cai that DOES require a tune?
If so can you explain why?
Also do you think the Livewire tuner is overkill for me, after sll, i cant even change my oil? I know i want to get a tune for the car but i saw other SCT tuners for 379.00 are they just as good? i was going for the livewire because it looked liked it offered a lot more for under 200.00$ more that the 379.00.
Thank you
"will my CAI be just fine, Will i experience all the potential power gain from this SCT Livewire tuner with my current K&N CAI or will i need to buy one of the cai that DOES require a tune?"

yes no doubt your CAI will be just fine it seems already that your mustang has a tune for the k&n CAI unless its a no tune CAI then either way your already fine. However still getting a tune for the mustang will not cause any problems with your CAI. You will defiantly be getting an increase in horsepower and with better air flow. Tuning the car with he calibrate the computer to accommodate the newly installed CAI. even if it was a no tune the mustang might still be running on the stock one so getting a new one is always a good thing.

"Also do you think the Livewire tuner is overkill for me, after sll, i cant even change my oil? I know i want to get a tune for the car but i saw other SCT tuners for 379.00 are they just as good? i was going for the livewire because it looked liked it offered a lot more for under 200.00$ more that the 379.00."

well not really getting a tune for your mustang is one of the best things that an owner can do for the car if there looking to mod it or just increase its horsepower and really getting the muscle out of the mustang. Standard stock tunes are installed for more economic purposes so its often restricting the cars true performance so installing a new tune is always worth it. As said getting one from a american muscle is a good choice as I am myself it might be a little more expensive at $379 but its worth it because american muscle offers free tunes for life when you buy a tuner from them meaning any mod you make you can always get a new tune from them they email it to you and your ready to go after making your mods. buying tunes separate for 3 of them can cost a lot so in the long run american muscle is a good way to go its all plug and play

Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 AM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Just a quick note. If you do decide to get a tuner and decide to get it from American muscle, make sure you PM one of their representatives here on the forum for a discount code before purchasing. They'll send you a forum discount code that'll give you %6 off of any purchases made on their site. That'll save you a little more than $20 on the $379 tuner.