Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Rim

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 PM
polakbob

Default Cracked Rim

My wife and I bought our 1st Mustang a couple of weeks ago (11 v6, pony package). I was cruising with a friend the other night and had to slam on the brakes as a deer jumped in front of us. Thankfully we didn't hit anything (including the deer) but I cracked the hell out of the rim. I guess between the speed and the angle it was just too much stress. Regardless, I took it to Ford the next day and the mechanic told me that all I needed was a new rim. I'm worried though, because he didn't actually examine the car. He just came out and looked at the wheel. If all I need is a new rim I can pay for the problem out of pocket. I'm worried there might be other problems (1st time I've cracked a rim so I don't know what to expect) so before I pay for something out of pocket and end up needing more work done I'd like to make sure I don't need to just go ahead and contact insurance. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:31 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Slamming the brakes (at a reasonable speed) shouldn't cause your rim to crack in my opinion... Sounds like a faulty/improperly made rim to me- correct me someone if im wrong?
Besides, I hope ford would replace it free if you just bought the car! And more so if its a quality control issue?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:36 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Chances are you cracked the rim on something else beforehand (pothole etc.) and just happened to notice after your incident.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I agree the rim was cracked by hitting something. There is NO WAY possible to crack a rim by hitting the brakes hard.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Do you recall any potholes or curb hits? Hitting the brakes wouldn't do that as stated before.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Possibly there was a defect in the rim. Are they asking you to pay for a new one out right?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
polakbob

There's a pothole near my house that I pegged a couple of times, though I don't think it was anything dramatic. I considered that I might have hit a curb, but there was no damage to any part of the body. Let's assume that I did peg a curb in the process though; do I need to worry about any other mechanical problems ahead or can I buy a new rim confidently? The only problem I noticed afterwards was that my alignment was off.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

i feel like on a car that new with no mods u shouldnt need to pay for the rim yourself unless theres obvious damage that you hit a curb or something
Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by polakbob
There's a pothole near my house that I pegged a couple of times, though I don't think it was anything dramatic. I considered that I might have hit a curb, but there was no damage to any part of the body. Let's assume that I did peg a curb in the process though; do I need to worry about any other mechanical problems ahead or can I buy a new rim confidently? The only problem I noticed afterwards was that my alignment was off.
I would assume that if you pay for a new rim, they would give you a free alignment. And this one may be common sense and I'm sorry if its insulting your intelligence, but have the other 3 thoroughly checked out! Drive safe!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 PM
polakbob

No insult at all. Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to cover my bases and make sure I don't need to worry about real mechanical damage behind the wheels (in the axle for example). I'm not great with mechanics. Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
I would assume that if you pay for a new rim, they would give you a free alignment. And this one may be common sense and I'm sorry if its insulting your intelligence, but have the other 3 thoroughly checked out! Drive safe!

Quick Reply: Cracked Rim