Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple HHO mod; has anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

breaking news and somewhat relevant:

http://cleantechnica.com/2011/03/08/...lace-gasoline/
Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
natural gas pollutes.
hydrogen fuel cells do not.

hydrogen fuel cells do not use combustion like a natural gas engine or IC engine would

EDIT: Never mind, you said exactly what I was thinking; I just repeated what you said.

I totally agree. The OP is referring to hydrogen is being combusted along with the gasoline.
It is not combining with O2 to make water and to draw current out of it like in a hydrogen fuel cell.
Burn hydrogen along with natural gas, and you still get pollutant by products from the combustion.

And yes, the hydrogen in this case does absolutely nothing to mitigate the pollutants of the combustion byproducts of the spark IC reciprocating engine.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 03-10-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
breaking news and somewhat relevant:

http://cleantechnica.com/2011/03/08/...lace-gasoline/
I unfortunately won't believe it until I see it. Just how scalable is this? What I mean is will this process be able to reliably satisfy our fuel demands without serious adverse side effects?
For example, using food crops for methanol production would have caused South America to burn down and destroy all their rain forests so they can grow trash crop just to make methanol. The corn production would have put a serious strain on the food supply, and the one suffering the most are the third world countries that rely on excess US crops to be donated to feed their hungry.

And I totally find the green jobs statement total bull S***
Look what happened to all the US Fed subsidies to make better PV panels and better batteries? The corporations took that Fed money (OUR TAX DOLLARS!!!!) and did not build a single battery of PV factory in the US! They hired CHINESE factories to make all these! So not a single battery or solar panel job was created for any Americans!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
...natural gas pollutes.
I give you that...
I should have said that it doesn't pollute near as much as gasoline or regular diesel fuel.
And that in itself, is a winner.
No one is getting sick in a warehouse where fork lifts are used so that kind of pollution is fine in my book.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
chargeitup

Yes hydrogen cells do work. Yes Nissan and ohter manufacturers are making hydrogen cars. Yes, You can make HHO (brown gas) out of a cathode and anode in a jar of water. Yes it can improve your gas mileage, (like a fuel additive). NO, your engine block in your mustang was not designed for this. There are lots of problems in turning your car into a HHO hybrid. First, without a good air dryer (which are rather expensive), you will corrode your combustion chamber. Next, brown gas explodes about 83 times faster than that of 93 octane gasoline. What do you suppose that is going to do to your rocker arms and valves. Your timing, even at top dead center, was not designed to handle this type of fuel. You will get better gas mileage for a while, but you will be rebuilding or buying a new block soon after that.

The technology to run your car on brown gas or hydrogen is out there, and has been since the early 1980's. (electircal, and magnetic motors are just as viable solutions). So why have we not seen it? Think of the economical backfire of such a revolution. 90% of people that works for an oil company would be frantically looking for a new job. The stock market would plumit. We would enter another recession (probably closer to that of the great depression). Next, there is a way to safely store hydrogen in a material called hydride. It is a biproduct of partical excellerators. It is not available for sale because it is used in the construction of nuclear weapons.

We can redesign the internal combustion engine, and drive for cheap. But we will probably have to do it ourselves, while dodging the men in black. And reap the economic whirlwind when it is done. But, personally I think it has to be done. So... VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:01 PM
chargeitup

Furthermore, to all the nay-sayers that say that this cannot work. You're mistaken. The internal combustion engine's main purpose is to turn the crankshaft. A very efficient gas engine carries around a 16% effeciency rate.
The wasted energy is turned into gaseous heat, friction heat, unharnesed gas, and unharnessed centrifugal force. The alternator mearly catches a ride on the wasted centrifugal force. In the process of turning it creates electrical potential. The standard alternator is capable of creating 150-200 amperes, which is more than enough to power your ECU, your bitchin' stereo system and a HHO generator. It would take about 12 LPM of HHO gas to power your average small block V8. (probably much less if it was designed to run on this fuel.) This is not a unreasonable amount of HHO. Many people are creating that with as little as 60 amps on a 12volt system. All we really need are non corrosive engine blocks, that are designed to handle the increased velocity of the brown gas explosion. I would venture a guess that you could make a 4 banger that would put our 5.0's and GT's to shame, (by my estimation, a 2.5L HHO engine at 20% effeciency on HHO could produce somewhere around 400 HP) and would probably last 4 to 5 times as long as our current gas engines. It might not sound as good as a supercharged 302 with flowmasters, but the math is there. All we have to do is to be willing to change.