Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GTs blowing up?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Default 2011 GTs blowing up?

I dropped my 2011 GT off at the service center today for various other...

One of the tech guys was telling me that 2011 Mustang GT's are blowing up after running some generic tune.

He specifically said, they're blowing #8 cylinders when running generic tunes.

Key things here, "cylinders" = plural as in more than one 2011 Mustang, and #8 lead me to find the following thread: Blown up 2011 5.0 engine, not coverd by Ford

First of all, this was the only blown engine thread I could find, so non-plural.

Summary of the thread I found:

1. OP blows motor, specifically cylinder #8.
2. OP takes it to Ford for warranty repair
3. Ford rejects warranty claim due to their belief that what happened could only have occurred under a level of compression that can't be made by the stock motor. They suspect Nitrous.
4. OP denies Nitrous but claims he accidentally shifted 3-2 instead of 3-4.

OP's name is "NOXER" ... NOXER... NOS... NOXER... NOS... hmmm...

Anyway, the above thread is the only thread I could find that mentions anything about a blown motor.

Is the generic tune blowing engines thing BS or does he know something we don't?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 PM
2008vistablue
1st Gear Member

I'd be asking for the parts back (since they are the car owners) and then have independently inspected by an engine expert and get an notarized letter stating it does not appears nitrous was used if that is their conclusion. Take it to the stealership, sorry I meant dealership and see what they will do then. If nothing and Ford won't help see a lawyer.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008vistablue
I'd be asking for the parts back (since they are the car owners) and then have independently inspected by an engine expert and get an notarized letter stating it does not appears nitrous was used if that is their conclusion. Take it to the stealership, sorry I meant dealership and see what they will do then. If nothing and Ford won't help see a lawyer.
Sorry I don't want to start off on the wrong track. Whether or not Ford decides to warranty it, I'm only interested in if others have heard about engines blowing up.

Is this a one time case or has there been others?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Who knows if this guy is telling the truth. The OEM engineers know what they are doing and could determine easily what caused the damage. The engineers have labs and they can examine the part in great detail (meteorology). They have stress test data which could determine how much pressure was applied to brake/failure of the part and from there you could determine what to look for....mistakenly shifting from 3rd to 2nd is not gonna brake parts unless it's under extra pressure from either NOS or FI. The damaged part will leave fingerprints as to what pressure was applied and the next question is can the stock motor make that kind of pressure....to create that kind of damage? Broken parts don't lie!!

In my 20yrs+ of car experience when people I knew that blew their engines due to power adders like NOS or FI, they always had their warranties voided. The factory engineers always knew that more forces where at work then the stock motor was capable of creating...."warranty voided"...."not covered due to mis-use". I also witnessed scenarios where the car owners didn't change the oil or just plain and simple beat the **** out of their cars and blew the motors and the factory warrantied/replaced their engines and didn't put up a fight. The bottom line is that once you add a NOS system or FI assume your engine/trans/rear warranty is voided. The rest of the items not effected by the power adders will be covered under warranty. I just remembered: I know of one guy back in the 80s that got away with blowing his motor in his new 86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z from using NOS....his father brought the car into the dealer and for some reason they fixed it but, they did put up a fight at first....I think his father threatened with a lawyer.(We would kill Fox body 5.0s with this car )

We can't start crying when parts brake and the warranty is voided....that's the way it is....your supposed to know that before you modify. Also, if you could install a FI or NOS system you could change a piston...it's not that difficult.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Last edited by daredevil95; 03-01-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

No argument on whether the guy had fiddled with stuff or not.

I'm just wondering if there have been other cases.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Opps....I liked the warranty topic....I missed your question.

Yea....in another S197 forum a guy blew his up, it was either the # 8 0r 7 cylinder. He was using a centrifugal super charger and running in the 10s. I attached the thread...it's good reading!!

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37131
Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 AM
onegoal
Banned

This is why IMO you shouldn't go force induction unless you have a chunk of money to buy a new engine if something severe happens. Unrelated, but isn't there a problem with a ticking noise in the 2011 v6 as well. I recall one of the posters on here had metal shavings loose or something floating around.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

This case will be the very first time I have ever heard of someone destroying their Coyote.

This only begs the following questions in my mine:
1) If he went FI, just how much boost was this guy pumping into his manifold? The stock Coyote is already a very high 11:1 compression ratio engine, and going into double digit PSI boosts is not wise in most cases. Some have pushed 11, 12, 13 PSI boost manifold, but shooting for 20's PSI boost is just plain stupid on 11:1 and non-forged internals.
The Coyote with single digit boosts is already making sick poser. There simply is no reason to boost into mid-high teens PSI.

2) Since this guy is a nitrous freak, there is absolutely no denying that he dumped nitrous shots into his car. I would say it is impossible that he did not go nitrous.
And if the moron dumped in nitrous in conjunction to max boost for his pulley set-up, bad news if he is already over boosting like an idiot.

3) Just how aggressive is his tune? If he advanced too far, even in NA trim, it is still easy to make the engine detonate. Add FI and/or nitrous, that sums up to a dead Coyote.
And just what did the moron mean by generic tune? A proper tuner will retard the engine in all respects properly to prevent detonation and other bad things. If he is a hack tuner or bought a hack tune, then he got exactly what he paid for: S***

Even the professional modders who are running 10's have modded their cars appropriately for the conditions they are putting their cars through. For very high boosts, they dropped in true forged internals and DROPPED THE DAMN CR!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
This is why IMO you shouldn't go force induction unless you have a chunk of money to buy a new engine if something severe happens...
Considering the total # of people that have gone FI and the extremely small percentage that have destroyed their engines, I think you don't have a leg to stand on, onegoal. If that's your reasoning, then don't drive since a higher percentage of people on the streets have accidents than the percentage of folks destroying their engines that are FI.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

The only thing blowing was the dealer tech...
Blowing smoke that is, just like onegoal it seems, lol.

On a stock engine, a bad tune will give you all kind of codes before anything serious can happen.
If your car is done by professionals, you're fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 GTs blowing up?